VW recall

Why would anyone take their VW in to have the software changed so you have a higher rating and so pay more Road Tax?

Reply to
Jim S

Seems unlikely - which I'm sure VW will be hoping will be the case!

Would be a better solution IMO to estimate the environmental impact of leaving cars as they are over their combined lifetime and force VW to plough the required amount of cash into other green initiatives. This could essentially mean VW spending the money they would have on recalls on an environmental project with a longer legacy.

Reply to
Richard Conway

"The government has announced today, 2 October 2015, that UK taxpayers will not incur higher Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) if their existing vehicles are found to be fitted with illegal software that manipulates emissions tests."

Reply to
nemo

Because you may be uninsured if you don't ?

Reply to
Tim Watts

So do you think the DVLA might have something to say on that.

Reply to
The Todal

It won't affect the rating of existing cars. Do keep up.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The government has already ruled that out.

What no-one seems to know is what will be done in the recall. AIUI there is currently a difference between emission test results and real life emissions due to the 'cheatware'.

Seems to me that there are two ways of bringing the two sets of results into line - run the car all the time as though it were being tested - with a detriment to performance and fuel economy - or disable the cheatware so that 'true' values show up in tests.

I wonder which they'll do?!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Surely the performance will drop, so unlikely to worry an insurer? Besides, it is a manufacturer's update, not some arbitrary modification.

Reply to
newshound

You have inside information on how much CO2 these cars will produce on test after the mods have been done?

If so, please share it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is likely that to get NOx down they will have to lose a bit of efficiency. The curious thing is that a tweak to fool a rolling road test will not make a jot of difference in normal driving so I can't really see what all the consumer fuss is about.

It will mean worse mpg after the tweak in all probability - the big question is by how much. Or whether some engines can ever meet the official targets without being specially pre-tweaked for the test.

I don't find it at all surprising that manufacturers "game" benchmarks wherever possible only the extremes to which VW have taken it.

Reply to
Martin Brown

CO2 output isn't necessarily about efficiency, though.

It could make a considerable difference to the maximum power and or torque output of the engine, though. That may not matter to a gentle driver - but might annoy the hell out of a faster one.

My guess is the MPG in normal use will be largely unchanged.

Think we all know that diesels exceed their test emissions under normal use. As the tests don't take into account normal use.

The difference here was actually switching the engine mapping between test and driving. Where the 'driving' map would cause it to fail the tests.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup, there's "gaming" and there's fraud. It will be interesting to see how far up that was known in the VW management.

Reply to
newshound

It's the not doing it I was claiming may invalidate the insurance (due to not responding to a recall).

Reply to
Tim Watts

The fuss is the engine would not have been allowed onto the road in the first place.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It is not a vehicle safety issue, like a problem with the brakes.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Neither is changing the colour of the paintwork, but the DVLA and the insurers both want to know!

Insurers will also definitely want to know if the ECU is remapped, which seems to be a possibility here.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Years ago, I used to smile inwardly when most people claimed they wouldn't own an automatic "because of the poor fuel economy".

I'd wonder what the f*ck they knew about fuel economy, having seen their driving - almost permanently in the wrong gear. Roaring starts. And (the best) a customer who owned a car for 3 years without realising it had a

5th gear.

I'm currently getting 44.7 mpg from a 1.6 turbo diesel, with a 50/50 mway/ urban mileage split. FiL is lucky to get 30mpg from their similar behaviour (although it is a 2.4 litre diesel)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Because the Government has said higher VED won't be charged?

The DVLA need to know for identification purposes. I've never ever heard of insurers being interested in the colour of the car. Except in some Mail article.

Really? They might well be interested if the engine was re-mapped to produce more power. But in this case it will produce less. So they'll give a re-fund?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My manual diesel (S-Max) is currently doing about 41.5mpg, on a 25/75 mway/urban split).....! Ands that's a 2.0.

Reply to
Bob Eager