VW recall

Why would anyone take their VW in to have the software changed so you have a higher rating and so pay more Road Tax?
--
Jim S

On 07/10/2015 10:08, Jim S wrote:

Seems unlikely - which I'm sure VW will be hoping will be the case!
Would be a better solution IMO to estimate the environmental impact of leaving cars as they are over their combined lifetime and force VW to plough the required amount of cash into other green initiatives. This could essentially mean VW spending the money they would have on recalls on an environmental project with a longer legacy.

Even better ignore the stupid treehuggers and get on with life.
--
Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than the US Treasury.

On 07/10/2015 10:08, Jim S wrote:

"The government has announced today, 2 October 2015, that UK taxpayers will not incur higher Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) if their existing vehicles are found to be fitted with illegal software that manipulates emissions tests."
<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-confirms-consumers-who-bought-vehicles-in-good-faith-will-not-incur-additional-tax-costs>
writes

My manufacturer did not cheat (or if they did they made a total mess of it) and as a result I pay the top whack for a 2.4 TD. If someone else is driving a car with higher emissions than declared then they should pay the appropriate rate of VED. They can then take action under Sale of Goods Act and recoup the extra cost from the dealer who sold them the car. This country is supposed to be short of cash. Why are we letting these people of the hook?
--
bert

Because they didn't purposefully buy a car with higher emissions.
--
A DC-10 had come in a little hot and thus had an exceedingly long roll out after touching down.
San Jose Tower Noted: "American 751, make a hard right turn at the end of the runway, if you are able.

So their redress under SOGA is with the people who sold them it just as if I bought a washing machine that turned out to be rubbish. (The "people" I was referring to are the dealers not the purchasers)
--
bert

No, they shouldn't have to bother with all that shit. It's just a different emissions level, nobody gives a damn.

The dealers most likely didn't know.
--
How do you embarrass an archeologist?
Give him a used tampon and ask him which period it came from.
On 07/10/2015 22:01, bert wrote:

+1
...but then again, it is Big Business that runs this (and most other developed) country(ies), not the politicians...

Or in this case the EU.
--
bert

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 10:22:49 AM UTC+1, nemo wrote:

Careful choice of words there, I think; "UK taxpayers will not incur higher Vehicle Excise Duty if their existing vehicles....."
I read that as saying that, when you sell your existing VAG vehicle, the new owner will have to pay higher Vehicle Excise Duty appropriate to the emissions. That may make the vehicles unsellable, or reduce their resale value.

Vehicles are taxed according to their CO2 output. VW have already stated that economy will not be affected by any reprogramming.
As for performance...., who knows?
Tim

If both performance and economy are not effected, why this fraud in the first place?
--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Paranoid much?
On Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 10:35:14 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

Not at all, it means what it says and what it said was "...their existing vehicles."
If they'd meant that existing vehicles will not be charged a higher rate of Vehicle Excise Duty in the event of the g CO2/km being revised, then they'd probably have said that.

Except as pointed out earlier, VW have said that consumption will not increase.
Tim

Which means that unless they're doing extensive hardware modifications, performance will be worse.
--
*Not all men are annoying. Some are dead.

On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 11:04:10 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The 1.6 is to have new injectors for some reason, so perhaps they are altering the spray pattern / timing and the injectors in 1.6 cannot cope. This change could improve overall efficiency - perhaps they are using some tech off the Euro 6 engines.
Simon.
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message wrote:

And you know this for a fact?

I don't think anyone knows anything for "a fact", probably not even VW. They have publicly stated the fuel economy maintenance. It stands to reason though that they wouldn't have used the "cheat" unless there was something to be gained by it.
Remove the "cheat" and SOMETHING has to give, or else, as Dave says, they're going to engineer their way out of this corner. We're just going to have to wait and see.
Tim