VW the EU UK & USofA

Ok who can explain this .

Considering we are or were in the EU but the US isn't

[email I recived from which )

VW has agreed to compensate US customers with payouts of up to £7,514 . But there are still no plans to compensate its UK customers.

Last year, VW came under fire for using software that rigged fuel emissions tests. It will pay out £11bn to settle the scandal in the US. Most of the money will compensate 482,000 owners of cars with two-litre diesel eng ines.

It's outrageous that there's still nothing on the table for the 1.2 million UK Volkswagen group owners whose cars were fitted with these notorious dev ices.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Why? Did they fail UK emission tests? You've always implied you hate standards.

And surely it should be those effected by the noxious emissions who should be compensated anyway - not just those who bought the cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What financial loss did VW owners suffer that merits compensation? Perhaps if there is a measurable loss of second hand value a tew hundred poiunds compensation might be justified, but I have no idea if this is the case.

Liike the Shell compensation, this is really just American piracy, stealing money from companies because they are not American-owned.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

They will suffer loss of second hand value because people will think "I don't want one of those". Also if they have the cars modified to make them less polluting (as they will have to in order to pass the US emissions test in their equivalent of the MOT) then the cars will use more fuel which will make them more expensive to run, and I think it also makes the car have poorer acceleration.

In other words, the owner has not got the car that he chose, test-drove and paid for, and all aspects of that need to be compensated for.

Reply to
NY

I think there was a significant difference in the way that VWs were marketed in the US compared to Europe.

In the US the cleanliness of the engine was strongly emphasised to make it more appealing to a rather diesel-shy market. This wasn't the case in Europe where economy has been the major selling point.

I think this is why VW is having to pay out so much more in the US.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes I always thought this scandal was manufactured. Look at the heaps of junk still on the road at the moment. the VWs and others are better, just not as good as they are supposed to be. companies have always made things that look good in tests, take hi fi amps in the 1970s. Their harmonic distortion figures were almost unmeasurable but when listened to some models sounded good and others did not merely because THD had been optimised at the expense of dynamic and feedback based performance. Intermodulation, Strange frequency dependent internal feedback circuits to cheat on thd peaks etc etc.

OK so hi fi is not as expensive as a vehicle, but they were in effect just showing how useless specs are. You simply cannot make engines that are clean at all points on the performance curves. You can tweak the software to keep emissions down over the full range, but you end up compromising efficiency or power. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You mean America isn't part of te EU and subjecty to their regulations?

Surely that means the EU cant trade with them?

Or that VW has to make a completely different care which has we all know would be impossibly expensive..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The problem is brought about by the government bringing in stricter rules and then not properly checking that cars complied with them. Which are campaigning for the tests to be improved.

Reply to
Michael Chare