OT. $3000 to trade VW.

VW owners can get a total $3000 if they trade their vehicles involved in the emissions cheating scandal. Article here at ABC News 4:

That reminds me of the GM offer back in the 70s or so. GM was offering an extra $1000 to trade the pickups with the gas tanks outside of the rails. What a deal. That auto purchasing thing always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The "$1000 gift" VW announced recently seems ridiculous -- esp if it truly is "no strings attached"! Why not put that money towards a real solution instead of just giving it away?

[Of course, considering it's not $1000 *CASH*...]
Reply to
Don Y

Any time I visit a dealer I feel like I need a shower afterwards. The best of them are still on the sleazy side. The solution to any automotive problem seems to be the same. Buy another one. I won't buy GM cars any more after their lame solution to a problem I had with my Buick.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Personally I never bought domestic brand. Drove new company every 3 years. GM, Ford, Chrysler, they were all same. My family always had couple Subaru vehicles specially for kids. We keep buying them, they keep making same way. My BIL just picked up a Nissan Rogue. Widn shield wiper motor problem causing intermittent operation, passenger side door is working erratic. Hope it is not a lemon. Most mechanics are at a loss when they come to electrical problems. I have zero issue with my MDX since new. Wife's Suzuki SX4 AWD is fun car to drive. Bought it coz it has timing chain. I hate the job replacing timing belt.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

VW says that the offer they made is "no strings attached" but others say that anyone who accepts the offer will give up some of the rights he has now for having been cheated on his current car.

If someone A pays money with a check and writes on it, "In full payment" and the other person B signs it, B has acknowledged full payment. If A doesn't write that and B writes "Under protest" above his endorsement, B doesn't give up his right for added payment.

In NYS, if both A and B write their words, B prevails and retains his rights.

But how do you write "Under Protest" when you get this $1000, and there may well be no statute or case law for in-kind payments.

Reply to
Micky

My guess is that few VW owners truly want a "real solution" because it would reduce the performance and fuel economy of their vehicles. Like most people, they may care about air quality but don't want to be the ones to pay for it.

Reply to
Neill Massello

The Seinfeld "Low Fat Frozen Yogurt" episode? :>

But, this (probably) isn't a case where folks can "avoid" any eventual fix and just "settle" for the bribe^H^H^H payoff. When VW comes out with a fix, neglecting to take advantage of it could very probably leave them with undriveable vehicles. I'm sure someone will come up with a testing strategy that defeats the "cheating device" so vehicles that still have that in place will find themselves failing emissions tests.

And, as this is now a widely publicized problem, only the completely clueless will fail to check potential "used car" purchases for whether or not they have been successfully "recalled" (fixed). I suspect VW will be required to produce a web site that allows a VIN to be entered and the update status verified.

I.e., I don't see the value to VW for the "giveaway" -- except to possibly shore up an eroding public image and bolster resale values in the interim?

Reply to
Don Y

You mean they actually OFFERED a solution???

Reply to
clare

Accepting that $1000 is NOT no strings attached if, as it seams, it means you wave the right to any other remedies the law may impose on VW. You take the $1000 and no longer own the vehicle with the problem, and have signed off any rights former owners may be entitled to as well as any rights you will have as an owner.

I'd say "shove it VW" and buy something else.

Reply to
clare

The "giveaway" is tied to a trade? If it gets the subject cars out of the hands of owners, it limits their liability to the owners - when the penalty is assessed only "current owners" may be able to claim the higher awards??? Sounds like a real good idea to "buy them off cheap" if that is the case.

Reply to
clare

Never been a fan of Nissan since the 510 and the 240Z - and less so since their marriage to Renault. I rallied a renault for 3 years - successfully, ane without any breakdowns - but certainly not my favorite cars.

Reply to
clare

At least the original news stories said VW made the offer and explicitly stated that it wouldn't impact on any other remedies including the results of any class action suit. Seems as though their crisis management people have learned from the mistakes others .

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

Sure, just buy another one of our crappy cars. Nope, that was my last one. Every GM car I ever had needed warranty work. I just bought my

4th Hyundai and only had one minor problem that was covered. Three Sonata Limited and just got a Genesis with Ultra package. Nice car.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This technique has made Bill Gates what he is today.

Reply to
taxed and spent

AFAICT, the giveaway has "no strings attached". I.e., if you currently

*own* one of the afflicted vehicles, VW wants to give you some money (and NOT impact your ability to make claims against them in the future)!

I.e., the vehicles don't "change" as a result of this action. The company's liability doesn't change. It's just a "gift".

Sure seems like it would be more prudent for VW to apply those re$ource$ to the actual INEVITABLE fix ("inevitable" because the vehicles will undoubtedly never be "registerable" once the emissions testing folks sort out how to address their subterfuge -- which may be something as simple as verifying VINs of "fixed" vehicles via some VW maintained website to ensure that normal testing procedures WILL yield accurate results)

Reply to
Don Y

I guess the thread heading threw me off - it says "for trade". (it also says $3000)

Reply to
clare

I've sure not had any positive experience dealing with late model GMs. My 1928 Chevy National was likely the best CXhevy experience I've had

- and that's not saying much!!!

Reply to
clare

Two different issues -- my fault for conflating them in my post.

I've not looked at the "trade" offer. But, the $1K offer has seen a fair bit of press, lately.

Reply to
Don Y

I should've included this paragraph from the article.

"Volkswagen already is offering $2,000 to current VW owners to trade in their cars for new vehicles, and the gift cards and vouchers would add $1,000 to that."

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

That's what I was saying, that despite what the news stories say accepting the offer would mean, that it actually means that rights are lost. Whoever wrote the news stories is almost certainly going by a press release by VW, the same company that programmed the cars to cheat in the first place. What matters is the [release] form that the person signs when he gets his $1000, a form that probably hasn't even been written yet. And what also matters is the legal significance of signing the check or accepting whatever is given.

One should not be taking legal advice from the other party to a contract. That VW says there is no impact does not mean there isn't.

Reply to
Micky