OT. $3000 to trade VW.

The assholes running Microsoft today make Bill Gates look like a saint.

Reply to
R. P. McMurphy

Gift cards and vouchers for what?? Service on the VW? Dinner at a fancy restaurant? or cold hard cash to spend as the recipient desires? And from the wording of that paragraph it sounds like the $1000 "gift cards and vouchers" were on top of the $2000 trade in bonus. You are saying the $1000 is available regardless if the owner trades the car or not. I'm not reading the whole thing - so I'll take your word for it.

Bad move on VW's part in my opinion.

Reply to
clare

with or without the troublesome drivers left inside...?

Reply to
danny burstein

I've only purchaced one new car, and only a few from new car dealers. Most have been from auto brokers or directly from private owners, the odd one from a used car lot.

Reply to
clare

AIUI, $500 is in the form of vouchers to be used at (VW) dealers. The other $500 is a prepaid credit card. So, it's a throwback to dealers for overpriced services and $500 to spend for the holidays (etc.)

Exactly. It's a *gift*! It does nothing to fix the "problem" that YOUR CAR will still have after the money is gone. It just buys good will (and "time") for dealers and customers: "Trust us, here's some money"

Which was *my* point up-thread! Put that $1K towards a *real* solution that doesn't result in your vehicles looking like crap!

Reply to
Don Y

there may be no real solution for this problem.........

if it had been a easy or cost effective solution they wouldnt of cheated.....

Reply to
bob haller

Of *course* there's a solution! But, like all engineering problems, you have to decide to "squeeze the balloon" in a different place. E.g., price vs. performance.

I'm sure they can get emissions in line with just a software tweek (this is undoubtedly the cheapest solution) -- but, fuel economy *and/or* performance (e.g., acceleration) may well suffer. Or, they may have to add considerable "chemical processing" to the exhaust chain which might be more labor intensive (installing a "thing") and/or harder to design ("Hmmm... where do we *put* the THING? And, what about all these other CAR MODELS??")

How much would you feel cheated if you ended up with a car that got N fewer MPG? I.e., that put it on a par with some other vehicle that you RULED OUT in your purchasing decision. Or, that took much of the "pep" out of the drivetrain? Hell, you could drive a Prius if your primary concern was emissions and fuel economy (yet, you chose not to!)

Reply to
Don Y

The solution was a $360 urea injector that was nixed as being too expensive. Looks cheap right about now.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Which do you think is more/less attractive to car buyers, lower mileage or a pee pumpin' package (DEF)? ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

Isn't urea a component of piss? So just pee in the injector. I'm sure someone will get pissed off.

Reply to
Tekkie®