VW emmisions

BBC 1 tonight 20.30 Panorama. Should be interesting.

Reply to
harry

Jolly good, I do so enjoy seeing the scheming Krauts being slagged off.

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

As expected, lies, damn lies and vehicle emission figures. Be interesting to see how long GM/Vauxhall can continue to play the denial game. Bet there will be a lot more companies caught too.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In this case sounds like somebody lower down made a bigger decision than their pay grade. However how is this any different to most cons in the land of only telling the public the good bits? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

The difference is that VW installed a "defeat device" in contravention of explicit legislation forbidding defeat devices. So it is not just a matter of advertising only the positive aspects. It is more like a market trader having his thumb on the scales.

Reply to
Robin

Top posted for Brian. I don't buy the 'we didn't know nuffink guv' protestations from the upper VW management tiers. They nearly all have technical degrees, they must have known that they were producing impossible cars.

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

What I'd like to know is, how hard did Panorama have to try to find another cheating car? Needle in a haystack or shooting fish in a barrel? I strongly suspect the latter.

Also, why did they have to go to the Czech Republic to do the tests? Are UK testing companies being leaned on/threatened? The whole thing stinks to high heaven. If other motor companies are also doing the same thing (as Panorama's testing of the Zafira would suggest), why is it taking sooooo long to confirm this?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Quite!

Very suspicious indeed.

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

Unlikely given that we haven't seen anyone else waving around those shot fish since VW was exposed.

Most likely because it isn't that common.

Reply to
hunar

Are you sure?

Albert Zweistein

Yep.

Just because some journo claims something in a headline...

If there was a similarly major problem with the other car manufacturers, it would have been exposed by now.

Reply to
hunar

Try reading the news now and then.

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

I still don't see how the car detected a test was going on. It would need to know the test was happening before the test started not after.

Reply to
harry

Bless!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Damn. It's only a VW. Imagine how perplexed you'd be if it were a Smart car.

Reply to
Richard

Ah, so you reckon GM went to a lot of trouble designing a cheat device

*just* for the Zafira, and for no other cars in their range?

Seems exceedingly unlikely to me. What VW and GM can do, so can any other major manufacturer.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

How odd that no one has actually measured any of them doing that after all this time, when its so completely trivially easy to measure.

Reply to
hunar

Actually, it isn't.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, if you call taking a vehicle off to the Czech Republic for testing "trivial". There are clearly people who don't want this investigated.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+