electric shower letting through water

I have just installed a new electric shower (Gainsborough e50 offered by Me ssrs B and Q for under fifty quid on clearance).

Upon first turning on the water supply, the shower passes water from the ho se outlet. I don't think this should happen as there's no power supply to t he solenoid yet. Twiddling the knobs makes no difference (turning the flow knob reduces the flow but not off completely, which is as expected).

The instructions mention letting water flow before fitting the spray handse t as part of commissioning, but I wouldn't expect water to flow before turn ing on at the on/off button.

I suspect the product may be faulty?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It does sound faulty. The main water valve must be open, possibly kept open by a piece of crud. Applying power such that the valve opens properly and clears the obstruction might be an idea.

Personally I would take it back.

YMMV

Reply to
Fredxxx

I've just installed an e50. Cheap and cheerful, but then so was the last Gainsborough, which was still working fine after 20 years! I don't think I'd make any decisions before wiring the thing up. If it is faulty, you will presumably get a replacement, so it won't be wasted effort. They were on special offer rather than a clearance item. Our local B&Q had them stacked high but, within a week, they'd gone

Reply to
stuart noble

Messrs B and Q for under fifty quid on clearance).

hose outlet. I don't think this should happen as there's no power supply to the solenoid yet. Twiddling the knobs makes no difference (turning the flo w knob reduces the flow but not off completely, which is as expected).

set as part of commissioning, but I wouldn't expect water to flow before tu rning on at the on/off button.

The solenoid valve should be closed when there's no power, so I'd take it b ack. Possibly there's some crud jamming it that might wash out if it's operated but why take a chance there's been permanent damage?

Reply to
harry

We had a Gainsborough some years back and, as I recall, the above was normal. There was know electrically controlled water valve.

Compared to something like our current Mira shower, the Gainsborough was remarkably simple, just a 'pot' with a couple of heating elements and an overheat switch. As I recall, the flow was only controlled by an external tap/valve. While basic, the one we had did the job although you couldn't have a 'vigour' and hot shower.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Well, I've wired it up and it now seems to have cleared itself, and hasn't blown up. There is a teeny drip through the hose now but I expect that's fa irly typical of showers and it might just be a drip rather than a leak.

Gainsborough appear to be made by Aqualisa now and the internal quality is better than I would have expected from the brand, and for under £40 quite happy.

Just have to finish the grouting now!

Thanks all

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Plumbed it in series with your waste water heat recovery unit I hope. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You mean I have to do waste water plumbing as well??? The instructions never mentioned that.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog