Electric shower running cool

Hi,

Gainsborough Energy 1000x electric shower, installation date unknown. Yesterday it was working fine, today on the 'Low' setting the water is cold, on the 'High' setting it gets lukewarm. Turning the temperature dial to maximum in both Low and High settings lights up the 'Reduce Temp' LED and the water flow stops. I can't ever remember that happening in Low power mode. Any suggestions on where to look first?

thanks, Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Unless still under warranty, in a shop for a new one! Sounds like it has dual heating elements, and one has failed...

Reply to
John Rumm

That, or there's a switch for the element which has died. Happened to mine (a triton) - the high/low/cold switch activates a pair of microswitches, whose contacts eventually fail.

I've also replaced the element unit in it before (hard water) - I easily got a spare from the manufacturer. (I'd rather keep the existing unit going than get a replacement - no new plumbing/tiling/etc required).

Didn't give the other symptom with the temperature dial though.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I replaced the elements in mine - found a place in scotland to sell me the parts - showerdoctor.com or something like that. Parts arrived next day and were fitted then evening!

Reply to
Matthew Ames

Yup, I have had bits from them in the past - very good.

Reply to
John Rumm

If it's like Triton type stuff inside, then it might be the relay which switches power to the heating element. On mine, the tracks had melted and charred. the two relays were each stamped 10Amp, but the total was 45A (9.5KW (?)). Not surprising they stopped working. Replaced whole unit... hth Neil

Reply to
Neil