More on VW Cheatware

"Volkswagen was reportedly warned about rigging emissions tests on its vehicles years ago, not only by one of its suppliers but also the German car giant's own engineers.
According to the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung newspaper, VW's technicians flagged up concerns about the engine management software the company was using in its motors back in 2011.
It was also reported today that VW had been cautioned eight years ago not to rig the tests by its software supplier Bosch. According to Bild am Sonntag, Bosch had written to VW in 2007.
The cheatware detects when a motor undergoes emissions testing, and then fudges the engine output to pass the examination by cutting performance to meet emissions standards for nitrogen oxide."
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/27/vw_emissions_scandal_car_maker_warned_cheatware_years_ago/
--
Global warming is the new Margaret Thatcher. There is no ill in the
world it's not directly responsible for.
On Sunday, 27 September 2015 23:04:15 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

how is that possible?

Easy enough to see its being tested on a machine and not driving around the streets.

One report said that it detected the steering wasn't being used when the car was being "driven" on a rolling road test rig to check emissions.
--

Jeff

On 28/09/2015 07:25, Jeff Layman wrote:

Another suggested the rear wheels were stationary during tests. Or perhaps the handbrake was on. Kind of rules out 4WD . . .
--
Cheers, Rob

On 28/09/2015 07:25, Jeff Layman wrote:

I have seen a suggestion that there's a "test" mode that on the surface disables ESP etc for rolling road testing, but I've never seen any evidence of this beyond hearsay. Even if there isn't, if it's a 2WD car, pretty easy to tell if it is on a rolling road via the ABS sensors, and even if 4WD, as has been suggested elsewhere in this thread, via the steering angle sensor.
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 08:02:58 +0100, Chris Bartram

Nowadays design engineers can use miniature sensors to monitor practically anything on a vehicle. The chips are tiny and are always getting smaller. I should think it's a doddle to rig the system, but what I cannot get my head around is, how on earth did VW ever think it would get away with the scam?
MM

They clearly did for years.
It will be interesting to see if anyone else has done too.

Indeed. It has been suggested that the tests are such that no vehicle could pass, in real world conditions. That then begs the question, how do non VWs pass? Are all diesel cars cheating the tests, one way or another?
--
Graeme

I'm not convinced that that is accurate.

Seems unlikely that the original test that discovered VW's faking didn't try any other diesel and find that they all did and blow the lid off the entire industry.
On 28/09/2015 20:42, Rod Speed wrote:

They did, I recall an article that said diesel emissions from other German manufactured cars were similar to formal test results.
wrote

And yet none of the other German manufacturers have had anything like the effect on their share price.
Quite frankly, I just don’t believe it.
On 28/09/2015 23:49, Rod Speed wrote:

Perhaps you interpreted what I meant incorrectly, unlike VW, other German cars had the same emissions in road tests as they did in formal testing.
writes

This is the point I worry about. Is it really realistic to assume that VW engineered diesel engines are so much worse that any others that they require cheating to pass standard tests?
Another point. All major manufacturers purchase vehicles made by their competitors and strip them to the last not and bolt. You can bet that if one manufacturer found cheating by another, they would shout it from the rooftops - unless they're all doing the same thing, to a greater or lesser extent.
--
Graeme

On 29/09/2015 08:05, News wrote:

Yes. VW sell on performance from their little engines and now it turns out they just cheated. They could meet the requirements but they would have less performance and may not be competitive.
Now they are just illegal to sell if they don't pass the tests so they will have to down rate all the cars and see if anyone still wants a low powered car.

But this doesn't really ring true does it ?
If people bought diesel VW's simply on the strength of manufacturer's claims, and were totally oblivious to this supposed poor performance then fair enough.
But's that's not how things are in the real world is it ? I'd imagine most people cjhoose a particular model either as a result of reviews in car mags or as a result of personal recommendations or word of mouth generally.
For instance given the supposed influence of "social media" nowadays its rather surprising that all these rubbish VW's to say nothing of Audis and Porshes haven't shown up on Facbook ot Twitter or had websites devoted to them. How they were all being left at the lights, being overtaken by milk floats and cyclists etc
In fact all the evidence seems to indicate that the first time anyone noticed how rubbish they were was two weeks ago as a result of some tests in the US the details of which nobody appears to understand.
So where is "Top Gear" when you need them ?
If there was ever an excuse for a one hour special, simply burning up some VW's around the track this was it.
michael adams

Oops, my mistake. Post first think later.
Your point is obviously if they have to adjust the cars to meet the US test then its that, which will lead to the poor performance.
michael adams

Or a test drive.

Which just happens to have the most stringent diesel standards. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_emissions_violations#Emission_standards

Plenty do.

The plug was pulled on them by some fools in the BBC.

Those yanks already did that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_emissions_violations#U.S._testing_conducted

Emissions aren't something the driver will notice, or can test himself. Unless clouds of smoke. But does understand performance and MPG.
The point is the VW in question would perform on the road pretty poorly, if left in the mode whereby it passes the emissions test.
Diesels are different to petrol engines in that excessive fuelling will produce more power. But also greatly increases emissions.
--
*IF YOU TRY TO FAIL, AND SUCCEED, WHICH HAVE YOU DONE?