TJI rigging?

I have TJI joists in my house. In my basement, I want to shackle chains from 3 of them (every other one for 5 joists), and hang a combined total of about 200 lbs, evenly distributed, so about 65-70 lbs per chain. Can I just get regular bolt shackles and do this? Any other/better way to do this? Any problems, comments, or tips on doing this right?

Thanks,

Reply to
mfreak

You're not allowed to hang things from the bottom chord. How vital is the exact location of the chains? Your best bet would be to find a wall crossing overhead, and put lag-bolts up through the floor into the bottom plate.

Failing that, screw long metal plates into the sides of the TOP member of the I-Joist, and hang the chains from those.

Reply to
Goedjn

Don't hang things from the flanges . It's not an I beam (W-section for you purists), and it's not a good idea to hang weight from them. A better way is to screw and glue 1x or 2x blocking on either side of the plywood web, drill a hole through the center for some 1/2" all-thread, washers and nuts on both sides with about 1.5" of rod projecting from either side, schackle bolt on either side, then a washer and nylon lock nut on either end.

If you don't want to use the hardware, and since it's a pretty small amount of weight, you could just drill through the center of the blocking and use some 1/2" line (rope to your landlubbers) tied in a loop and hang the schackle from the bottom of the loop.

I'm not going to ask what, or who, you'll be chaining to your basement ceiling. ;)

RicodJour

Ya, that's what I figured.. Well, let me explain what I want, there must be some way of doing it.. I'm building a studio/party room, and I want a heavy duty platform for an overhead amp rack, and a couple of mains (PA speakers). I have the shelf framed up with 2x3's and plywood. I have a 2x4 bolted to the wall for a lip, and I can screw the 2x3 to the wall, that'll be more than plenty secure.

But I need support for the front protruding edge, and I didn't want to have 2x4 legs going to the floor holding it up or whatever.. Any suggestions?

Reply to
mfreak

Diagonal supports. Either up from the shelf, down from it, or both. What's the total weight and dimensions of the equipment?

Or put up two rails along the wall, and bolt on each peice of equipment individually, and skip the shelf entirely.

Reply to
Goedjn

Superstrut from Home Depot or Lowes. Flush screws to the floor above, connector nuts and threaded rod to reach down.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch