How to secure air cleaner to ceiling? (w/pic)

I used (4) 250 lb. rated stainless steel hook bolts and chain to hang my Jet from wooden joists. No turnbuckles, no aircraft cable, etc... It's been up there for ~ 5 years.

When I put it up. I hung off each individual mount, nothing budged. I'm 240 pounds, so I figure I'm good to go.

**
**

B A R R Y

Hello everyone,

I am still in the process of setting up my new shop at the new house. Yesterday I hung the new air cleaner. I used chain that has an overkill factor of about 16x, 100lbs hanging from four chains rated for 400+ lbs. I have the hook eyes screwed into the joists/trusses in the ceiling.

concern is for the little "turnbuckles" I used. I am not sure if I used the correct ones. They look like little horse shoes with a rod that passes through a hole in one end and screws into a threaded hole on the other side. I am worried that if anything comes loose I will have a 100 box of steel come crashing down.

I was thinking adding aircraft cable with crimped ends to act as a backup should one of the little chain to eye bolt connectors fail.

How do most people hang their air cleaners?

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Reply to
David F. Eisan

From your description it sounds more like you used chain shackles

not turnbuckles. If this is so then I have 2 suggestions. The screw pins on shackles usually have a hole in the end to accommodate a wire to secure them from vibration. If not, then you could replace the screw pin with a clevis pin with a cotter pin locking it in place. Art

Reply to
Artemus

I hadn't seen the original post, so the first time I saw the picture was in your reply. Not sure I would have used chain at all. Generally, these are hung on all-thread and brackets that the unit sits on, with similar brackets spanning the trusses above. 100lbs is not a lot of load, but in any public use it would not be approved to lag up into a 2X truss like this. I hang speakers that don't weigh this much, or if they do they don't weigh any more than this, and this technique for hanging them would never be approved. At the very least, I'd go with saddles spanning the trusses.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

As Artemus already pointed out, it appears you used an anchor shackle, not a turnbuckle, to connect the chain to the eyebolt. Rather than a screwed-in connection, I'd personally be more comfortable with something with a cotter pin that kept the round pin in place (like this

I worry about vibration from the air cleaner loosening a screwed-in pin. You could certainly use a cable as a backup if it makes you feel better, but I'd personally feel it was overkill in a home shop. I actually use a hook screw rather than an eye screw for mine, which eliminates the need for the shackle.

todd

Reply to
todd

4 lengths of chains, and hooks. I level it by selecting different links. No turnbuckles, crimped ends, whatever.
Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Mine's pretty much like yours, except in my case the joists are exposed. Also, I used hooks rather than eyelets into the joists.

I think you worry too much. If one fails, you still have three holding it up. You'd have to have two on the same side fail before it would even droop and all of them would have to fail before it hit the floor. But the weight is evenly distributed between the four hangers, so why would even one fail?

In my case, I was rather proud of the fact I hung mine unassisted. I looped some cord through the hook and down to the cleaner and tried pulling it up with absolutely no luck, even though I weigh about three times what that cleaner does. So I got smart and made several loops, effectively creating a multiple pulley. I then was able to pull it up with just one hand. Once I had it up, I swapped in the chain and moved on to the next hook. I beleive it's quite secure and it's been up for almost three years now.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

A little bit of safety wire will keep the shackle pin from unscrewing. Although considering the relatively minor consequences of a pin coming out in this case, Loctite would probably be sufficient.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Properly called a "shackle".

You could also use a "Quick Link" - looks just like a chain link, with a threaded closer on one side (look on page 1362 of the on-line McMaster-Carr catalog

How do most people hang their air cleaners?

My shop ceiling (basement shop) is open. Since the joist spacing isn't the same as that of the mounting eyes on my JDS air cleaner, I put up two pieces of 1x5 pine across three joists at the proper spacing. I installed screw eyes (through hole. flat washer, lock washer and nut above) into those. The air cleaner is hung from those using four lengths of 100 pound rated chain and eight S-hooks. The S-hooks are large enough that I have no worry that the cleaner is going to "jump" off of them. Its been up for a few years now with no issues.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

I replied in ABPW but wanted to add something, Dave.. When the filter was hanging in my garage in the States, it was on 4 short pieces of plumbers tape... Not a good way to do it, I'm sure, but it worked for 6 months and was easy to take down when we moved.. If you're worried about your setup (which seems very safe and maybe overkill to me) them you could always use a few strips of plumbers tape and a couple of bolts as safety wires... YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

My Jet air cleaner is hung with angle iron (the multi hole stuff) with lag bolts into the ceiling joist, I used 1/4-20 bolts to secure the angle to the unit with Nylock nuts.

Two pieces of 2" angle, leaves just enough room to stack 2 filters high and wide upon the top of the unit, it also cut down of the rumble.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

That's an excellent idea, one I wish I had though of when I installed my unit.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I used threaded rod and unistrut.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

When I put my air cleaner in, I used a pair of eye bolts in some conveniently located threaded holes on the top and suspended it between some joists by passing a large dowel (or conduit) through them and u bolting those dowels to some boards I used to bridge the joists. It was certainly simple enough.

No need to go overboard here. It ain't rocket science.

Reply to
George Max

Me too. I use this stuff everywhere. If you get it from an electrical supply house or Home Depot, depending on where you live, it may go by the name "Kendorf". It's usually sold alongside the elcectrical conduit.

You can bridge a couple of trusses with the unistrut, and come down out of the ceiling with threaded rod. If you have exposed ends on the threaded rod, put a crown nut on the end of it so you won't whack your head the next time you are changing air filters.

Reply to
Bob the Tomato