VW recall

What a longwinded idea.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Why would you tell your insurer you painted your car? It doesn't make it faster or more dangerous.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Well they're not. I've never told mine of any silly little thing like this, and they've never refused to pay out.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

The only fault lies in the test machinery that can be fooled by a clever car. Automotive technicians 1, Treehuggers 0.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

+1

...but then again, it is Big Business that runs this (and most other developed) country(ies), not the politicians...

Reply to
JoeJoe

The insurance angle isn't clear get and I guess the Assoc British Insures or the FSA should make a public statement soon.

Meanwhile, it's worth looking at the section on Good Industry Practice headed 'ICOB Rule 7.3.6.'

Bertie Doe

There is a case where an insurer refused to pay out because the owner has stuck "go faster" stripes along their car without telling them

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Apples and pears!

You use an awful lot of fuel in urban driving starting and stopping - which is not the same thing as driving at a lower constant speed on a motorway.

I get better MPG at a steady 70mph on a motorway than I do at a very much lower average speed (20mph if I'm lucky) around town - for the reasons explained in the previous paragraph.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Motoring News - which I used to ready in the '60s - reckoned that if you paid for Go Faster tape in copper coins you would go faster since you'd reduced the load in the vehicle.

Reply to
charles

Bit more to it than that...

Jesus-Car.jpg

And she's a vicar? So that'll be undeclared business use, will it?

Reply to
Adrian

I would assume contesting that would succeed.

My car has a sticker on the back saying "this car is limited to 155". It can however not exceed about 95 on the flat. I don't expect the insurance company to think the sticker means I've made it capable of 155.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Of course, having such signs could attract vandalism.

Reply to
charles

But do they define what a modification is? Fitting a different radio is a modification.

My renewal specifically asks if the car has been modified to increase speed, performance or acceleration.

But performance is a bit vague. Do I have to tell them if I fit the very best possible tyres to improve braking performance in the wet?

Bollocks, IMHO.

Do you tell them if your garage fits non maker parts like a battery, brake pads, tyres, etc? All modifications to the maker's spec.

Insurance companies can try and impose any conditions they like. Whether they would stand up in law is a different matter. And a modification which reduced the speed or acceleration of a vehicle would be laughed out of court if they seeked to get out of paying a legitimate claim for that reason.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So their redress under SOGA is with the people who sold them it just as if I bought a washing machine that turned out to be rubbish. (The "people" I was referring to are the dealers not the purchasers)

Reply to
bert

Or in this case the EU.

Reply to
bert

IMO they could only reject a claim on this basis if the recall out standing was related to the cause of the accident claim.

Reply to
bert

Actually some colours make the car more accident prone. ISTR green is not good. The other factor is cost of repair. So if for example you change the radio for a much more expensive model and it is stolen, they may only compensate to the value of the original manufacturers radio. I had another example of this when I fitted a roll cage to my Land Rover which went down through the front wing. When I pranged it because I had notified them the insurance company had to bear the extra cost involved in fitting a new wing.

Reply to
bert

Complete and utter superstitious twaddle. My Uncle used to say there was only one colour (I can't remember which) that he'd buy, because yellow attracts wasps, white looks like a police car, black can't be seen, etc, etc, etc.

Surely that is included in contents?

There would have been way more cost if there was no roll cage.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

No, they shouldn't have to bother with all that shit. It's just a different emissions level, nobody gives a damn.

The dealers most likely didn't know.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

It's a grey area. There's not much technical info from USA or Germany as to how the cheat-ware works or if there are any post-recall safety issues likely.

If I was one of the two guys in the two guys in this ng effected, I would email my Insurer now, saying there may be some sort of VW modification.

If I got no reply from Insurer, I would inform them again - after recall.

Anyhoo, the picture will be a lot clearer when the alleged recalls start in

2016.
Reply to
Bertie Doe