Ha ha ha

... what a retard you are denise

Reply to
geoff

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Blue Nun more to your taste eh, denise?

Reply to
geoff

Just what I'm drinking at the moment as I type (so to speak)

Can't go wrong with a CNdP if you like full bodied and fruity

£17 /bottle at M&S

John, you might like to try Vacqueyras. Almost like CNdP but cheaper and not quite so heavy.

Reply to
geoff

In message , "dennis@home" writes

"Glass of white wine for the ladies... "

Reply to
geoff

Not tried that, will have to look one out next time I am browsing! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Simply incredible isn't it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yeah we were pretty much the same for many years; if you tot it up that's way above the recommended allowances, especially so for the girlies. A few years back a took a bit of a verbal kicking from the doc for my liver enzyme levels, which were measured as part of a blood test for some othe reason, and that, coupled with the nagging feeling that perhaps we were enjoying our booze a bit too much (couldn't recall the last alcohol-free day!), decided to stop drinking during the week.

Were quite relieved it wasn't a problem to do at all in fact: so these days from Sun-Thurs it's sparkling water only for us. And no, we don't overcompensate at the weekend! The benefits on the waistline and wallet are palpable, too.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I'm the total antithesis of a wine snob I suppose; our normal bottle would be around 6 quid I suppose which works for me - it just "tastes nice".

I do remember once finding myself at a restaurant table at a business meal, where someone was trying to impress a VIP by buying a top-end bottle for a 3-figure sum - everyone's in raptures, 'angels copulating on your tongue' etc, and I'm just silently thinking 'yuck'. Emporer's New Clothes Syndrome, perhaps? Dunno.

I do think it's accepted wisdom that if you are used to plonk, then it's quite likely you'll find upmarket stuff not to your taste - at least initially.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I found I could tolerate cheap wines at first but over the years my taste has got more "expensive".

Going back to wine clubs - there are lots around and they nearly all offer big discounts on your first case. I just got a full case from Virgin Wines for about £45 and all the wines were great.

Reply to
Mark

Indeed you do. All that fizzy water can't be doing you any good.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The thing is, if the look at the reccommended allowances they are ridiculous. A pint of Stella comes in at 2.95 units against the male allowance of 3 - 4 units a day.

Is anyone seriously suggesting 2 pints of Stella a day is going to kill you?

New puritans.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Since we switched from wine to fizzy water on weekdays, SWMBO has been plagued by cramp. Never happens with wine! Go figure...

Reply to
Lobster

Co-op Keep an eye out for their half price special offers. Most we will ever pay for a bottle is £5 and when we find a really nice one we stock up while it's on 50% mark-down.

The other odd secret passed on to us by the wine coniseur step-father-out-of-law which has proved signinicantly more sucessful than looking at labels is to feel the depth of the indent on the bottom of the bottle (red wine obviously) The bigger (deeper) the whole the better quality wine !

Admitedly it is a bit of a random way of selecting wines but on the whole I would say it's about 80% accurate and you will often stumble across the most superb tasting wine for an unexpectedly good price when used in conjunction with the co-op 50% off rule of selection! :¬) HTH Pete

On a slightly different ramble.... I really REALLY dislike what some wine producers are doing these days. The deceptive method of putting white wine in dark green bottles. It's as bad as putting salt & vinegar flavour crisps in green packets !!

Pete (still)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Actually, I love fizzy water

must come from the years spent living in germany (hopes Herr Pruefer isn't listening)

Reply to
geoff

Poured a glass of wine at about six thirty. Still haven't had a sup yet, and nearly finished the fizzy water

Reply to
geoff

How gullible you are. She's faking it. Why is it men can never tell?

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Real don't care.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The shelf for those is always empty.

Ah. It's your fault ;-)

On a serious note a lot of these "half price" offers are fakes. Supermarkets bump up the price of a cheap wine for a couple of weeks and then reduce it, claiming it's half price. I don't fall for those.

Reply to
Mark

Before the Walmart takeover Asda stocked some quite good wines at good prices, when you consider their normal target customer.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Which are complete bollocks anyway. Someone stuck a finger in the air and made a guess.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q