Totally OT Wine Q

Hi all

This is so way out there, off topic doesn't do it justice! But having tried alt.food.wine with no takers in 2 hours I thought I'd throw this open to my learned friends here..

Being a total wine duffer, I am looking for something a bit up market from our usual tipple. Me and the missus have enjoyed the Jacob's Creek standard of offering and are particularly partial to their reds (Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon). For this we pay £7-£9 a bottle IIRC. If I pay nearer £20 for a competitor's brand, will I see a significant improvement in quality/flavour etc?

If so, whose wines should I try? If you are familiar with the Jacob's Creek offerings, they are rich and thick (sort of thing) - not at all watery. Is this what's known as full bodied? This is the style of wine I would be looking to buy, with whatever improvement can be bought IYSWIM.

Suggestions on variety and stockist anyone please?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

My first observation would be to suggest one gets to somewhere like Makro and buys in boxes of six. That will drop the price to the £4 - £5 for things like Jacobs Creek, Mission Bell, Gallo, and most of the "new world" wines. (DAMHIKIJDO) ;-)

Probably, but it depends on what you like and what you choose.... You will be able to find examples of flavours and styles which you don't find so often in your current selections.

Yup, often full bodied, packed with fruit flavours - especially anything on a Shriaz (aka Syrah) or Merlot grape base. The Shiraz give a little more "spice" to the flavour.

To an extent, just experiment a bit. Try other grapes, countries of origin etc without pre-conceptions or being too snobbish and see what takes your fancy. If you find some you like, then try some more expensive offerings from the same maker/grower/region etc and see if you notice the difference.

Makro are good for new world wines - probably not as good as dedicated shops for French. Waitrose do a decent range of posh ones alongside the more common or garden varieties.

If you like full bodied, then you will probably like wines from the Rhone valley - Côtes du Rhône etc. I am quite partial to a Châteauneuf-du-Pape, again full bodied, and full of fruits - but with oak, and more tannin than the new world styles (and less harshness if going up market a bit).

One of my favourite "odd" wines to inflict on people is Château Musar - a export of the Lebanon (and no it won't give you a case of the shiites!). When you can find a younger example, it takes the concept of full bodied to a whole new level - very aromatic, heavy oak, slightly smokey and like being hit round the head with a taste 4x2" (SWMBO describes the flavour like how one would imagine a musty library to taste!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Probably not,

wines come with different flavours at all price points and you may not like a £20 wine and may like a £5 wine. Until you taste it you just wont know. Earlier this year I found a perfectly acceptable wine in a wine box in ASDA that was retailing for £6 for three litres. Now some will say you can't get a good wine at that price but we drank 10 boxes and liked it. Then they put the price up to £6.69 for the next six boxes, then it was no more. 8-( It must have been OK people were buying trolley loads at a time.

My wife likes to buy mystery cases from a wine club (Sunday times I think). They cost around £60 for 12 bottles and are usually bin ends. I have only tasted a couple that I didn't like. They also do mixed cases where you know what you are getting before you buy. It might be worth trying a case or two.

Reply to
dennis

Aye, the Sainsbury's Merlot in 1.5l plastic bottles is pretty good and very good value. That said, I like a drop of Lafon Rochet

Reply to
nicknoxx

I probably wouldn't, I drink whites which is why I didn't recommend any reds for the OP. I used to like Chablis but the last three I tried were cr@p.

Reply to
dennis

Take a look at Averys of Bristol. Been getting wines from them for many years now. You could do a lot worse than their 'Discover Wines' selection.

mixed case of a dozen bottles every 3 months round about £75-80. Give them an idea of what appeals and they'll tailor the selection to you. (6 red, 6 white and a bonus bottle - I never take desert or sweet wines, and never had a bad wine in 20 odd years!)

If you get more confident after two or three cases, they'll do a superior slection at a good price, say a retail value of £140-£150 for about £120.

Reply to
The Wanderer

"TheScullster" wrote

Thanks to all respondents.

I took the Waitrose option at lunch time and settled on a full-bodied Cotes du Rhone and also a bottle of St Emillion origin. Both under £10 each, so no wreckless gamble here :) This is a subject I think would appeal, once the house is in reasonable shape (kitchen still outstanding unfortunately). The suggestion of joining a wine "club" and getting regular deliveries sounds like a pretty good move to me.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Does the Sunday Times Wine Club still exist? We were members of that and found a few nice wines as a result.

We only left in order to try and cut our wine consumption.

Reply to
Huge

I'll answer that as you are in everyone else's kill file.. yes it does, and it appears to be the same one as laithwaits.

Reply to
dennis

Did you succeed?

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

TheScullster :

I recommend The Wine Society.

"The Wine Society is owned by its members and exists exclusively for their benefit. Founded in 1874, its aim is to introduce members to the best of the world's vineyards at a fair price.

"As a mutual, membership satisfaction is paramount; maximising profit is not. The Society's buyers are therefore tasked solely with finding high-quality, interesting and value-for-money wines from around the world at all price levels.

"The cost of a lifetime share is £40 with no annual fee or obligation.

"Join here and receive £20 to spend on your first order"

Mike Barnes

Per person?

And what do you now drink instead?

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Wine Clubs are all very well, but quite naturally they are in it for the business - the business being to get you to buy wine - more wine than you really need. So beware - I was in Virgin's Club for a while and had to put a stop to it when I realised that I had 5 cases of wine in store - =A3300 to =A3400's worth. Daft. And all it did was to make us drink more of it than was possibly good for us and certainly not good for the finances.

As for recommendations - on the lighter wines, try Lidl's Bordeaux Rose; possibly not so good at this time of year, but a dry rose with a good body and lovely in the summer. Rob

Reply to
robgraham

[Hic. Giggle. Huh?]

But seriously, yes. We only drink wine at weekends*, now. We were stowing away a bottle a night with dinner in the week and sometimes 2 at weekends.

[* Includes Friday night.]
Reply to
Huge

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Yup, AIUI Laithwaites is a trading name of Direct Wines, who also run the STWC, Virgin Wines and others no doubt.

Always had good service and good wines from Laithwaites in their various guises. We did try the regular delivery thing (a case once a quarter), but don't really drink enough wine for it to be worth it for us.

Usually wait for one of their offers and then buy a case or two.

Reply to
chris French

chris French gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Seconded. We've been on the "Four quarters" three monthly case for a few years now, and can only say good things about it.

Reply to
Adrian

Oh, the irony.

Reply to
Huge

Hear hear.

When I joined, it was a lifetime share, but you could pass it on when you died (or cash it in; it appeciates in value). Not sure if that's still the case. I only paid a tenner.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Fuck me that explains a lot....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Each, or between you ?

bottle of wine and 1/1/2 litres of fizzy water a night ATM

need to break the habit meethinks

Reply to
geoff