Stopping at a bus stop.

Are you breaking the law, stopping at a bus stop to allow a passenger to alight? (No buses around, so not hindering them)
Just had a fixed penalty notice claiming I did just this. I dropped off a passenger at the rear entrance to Clapham Junction station. Stopped for all of 30 seconds, or less.
--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

8 seconds is too long ...
<https://metro.co.uk/2016/04/19/driver-fined-after-spy-car-catches-him-stopping-at-bus-stop-for-eight-seconds-5826110/
All along a red route in London the only reason for stopping is breakdown or ill health I understand. Brian
--
----- --

In London, where the stop is designated in the usual way, then yes. Such stops - marked with a single, broad yellow line, are not like the generality covered in the Highway Code. They are "bus stop clearways". Cars cannot lawfully stop there, even just to let off or collect a passenger. That's why the signs say "No stopping" rather than "No parking" or "No waiting".
--
Robin
Robin explained on 04/10/2018 :

..and I have known drivers of obstructed buses get off the bus and take a photo of cars which have ignored the rule.

One near here on a multiple bus route where one route stops to change drivers. Can be stopped there for ages, if the new driver is stuck in traffic, etc. Be good to see a bus in service take a pic of that when they can't get near the stop. ;-)
--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman (News) explained :

The street is so congested, the drivers cannot see whether the stop is obstructed or not, until they have committed to it. They have little choice but to stop with the back end blocking the road completely, hence they have plenty of time for a photo opportunity.

No - it's in a bus lane. And as most have probably noticed they're marked so badly only locals are likely to know when they're active or not - so most just avoid using them at all times.

The odd thing is this particular route meanders through a housing estate and hospital grounds. Both of which would provide a less disruptive place for a bus to change drivers.
--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman (News) used his keyboard to write :

I have never come across a badly signed bus lane, I though though come across plenty of driver who cannot read the signs, or simply don't understand them. I always see lots of bus lanes devoid of any vehicles, outside of their operational hours.
On 05/10/2018 18:09, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have seen a small sign saying no stopping at a bus stop that one could only be expected to see when stationary.[1]
The obvious counter is to stop in the middle of the road and be damned.
[1] The bus stop in question had a camera pointed at it, so to catch drivers who set down passengers.
Fredxx explained :

Probably not - now you mention it, our main st bus stop also has a camera pointing at it too. I have never heard of anyone being done for dropping off there or even parking there and obstructing the buses.

Could be the issue with the odd parked car and having to pull out into a traffic filled second lane? I find London drivers much more generous than they were in my youth.
--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb formulated on Friday :

No, they usually have double yellow lines along them too. I used to make good use of one in particular, that ran from close to the Leeds city centre, all the way out to the next centre. It was a well marked part time lane, 15-30 to 18:00. There was always a congested L2 and only an occasional bus in L1. So I used L1 all the way and would have a clear steady run, except when there was a bus at a bus stop. There, I would simply pull into a gap in L2, to get past it. I would sometimes even get flashed by those daft enough to queue in L2 with the rest of the sheep.
Driver see the thick white line, but none bother to read the signs - it was always thus.
On 05/10/2018 20:00, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I was once a passenger in a car that was stopped by the police when driving in a bus lane in Nottingham. The driver was asked why he was driving in the bus lane and he responded that it was out of its operating hours and that he'd been stopped for not driving in a bus lane in Manchester the week before. The officer grinned, said that he (the driver) couldn't win could he and sent us on our way!
SteveW

They are generally pretty good.
--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Mainly because the signs saying when they are in operation are often extremely difficult to read in moving traffic. And may change the hours on the same road. I'm willing to bet absolutely no driver could keep up with all of them on many London streets. So unless already familiar with them, simply keep out of them at all times.
--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

On Thu, 04 Oct 2018 14:36:54 +0100, Harry Bloomfield

I thought buses were fitted with forward and rear facing CCTV so why would the driver need to get off?
On Thursday, 4 October 2018 13:21:18 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If you've stopped in a bus lane then yes you've been a very naughty boy.
If it's not a bus lane and no other notices are about then I'd say you not such a naughty boy.
When I get picked up by driving friends I try to make sure I'm not near a bus stop or zebra crossing as they have said they can't pick me up near those places.

Not a bus lane, pet. And perhaps most of those round here ain't active at that time on a Sunday anyway. Plenty have parking bays in them, for when they're not active.
--
*What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary? A thesaurus.*

Maybe not a bus lane, but a bus stop. Plead mental illness on appeal. We'll back you up.