Stopping at a bus stop.

Are you breaking the law, stopping at a bus stop to allow a passenger to alight? (No buses around, so not hindering them)

Just had a fixed penalty notice claiming I did just this. I dropped off a passenger at the rear entrance to Clapham Junction station. Stopped for all of 30 seconds, or less.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

8 seconds is too long ...
Reply to
Andy Burns

In London, where the stop is designated in the usual way, then yes. Such stops - marked with a single, broad yellow line, are not like the generality covered in the Highway Code. They are "bus stop clearways". Cars cannot lawfully stop there, even just to let off or collect a passenger. That's why the signs say "No stopping" rather than "No parking" or "No waiting".

Reply to
Robin

Robin explained on 04/10/2018 :

..and I have known drivers of obstructed buses get off the bus and take a photo of cars which have ignored the rule.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If you've stopped in a bus lane then yes you've been a very naughty boy.

If it's not a bus lane and no other notices are about then I'd say you not such a naughty boy.

When I get picked up by driving friends I try to make sure I'm not near a bus stop or zebra crossing as they have said they can't pick me up near those places.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes, Unfortunately, somebody did this around my way to let a patient off outside a hospital,and the cameras caught them fixed penalty no excuse. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

All along a red route in London the only reason for stopping is breakdown or ill health I understand. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

One near here on a multiple bus route where one route stops to change drivers. Can be stopped there for ages, if the new driver is stuck in traffic, etc. Be good to see a bus in service take a pic of that when they can't get near the stop. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not a bus lane, pet. And perhaps most of those round here ain't active at that time on a Sunday anyway. Plenty have parking bays in them, for when they're not active.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe not a bus lane, but a bus stop. Plead mental illness on appeal. We'll back you up.

Reply to
Richard

Dave Plowman (News) explained :

The street is so congested, the drivers cannot see whether the stop is obstructed or not, until they have committed to it. They have little choice but to stop with the back end blocking the road completely, hence they have plenty of time for a photo opportunity.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It depends on the road markings and what signs you have passed.

Around here many roads have double yellow or red lines and a single yellow or red line at the stop with a plate saying no parking/stopping except buses.

There may also be loading restrictions, which are there to stop blue badge holders from parking/stopping.

Reply to
dennis

So where did you stop at a bus stop ?

Ghen what's the problem ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

No - it's in a bus lane. And as most have probably noticed they're marked so badly only locals are likely to know when they're active or not - so most just avoid using them at all times.

The odd thing is this particular route meanders through a housing estate and hospital grounds. Both of which would provide a less disruptive place for a bus to change drivers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you had driven onto the pavement, and turned on your hazard flashers you might have got away with it :-)

Reply to
Andrew

The best way of avoiding a parking ticket that I read about involved making a stuffed effigy of the torso and legs of a man, and putting it under an illegally parked car with just the feet sticking out onto the pavement. An old fashioned NHS hearing aid (with a big amplifier/mike box and a cable to an earpiece) was placed on the ground nearby as if the "driver" had taken it out while he was working under the car and consequently could not heard the traffic warden telling him to move on. A tape recording of random bangs and swearing was placed out of sight under the car. Apparently they managed to survive the traffic warden returning three times on his "beat", one time accompanied by a policeman. A conversation was recorded in which they talked about the poor bloke whose car had broken down and how much difficulty he was having fixing it.

Eventually when traffic warden and policeman were out of sight, the perpetrator (who was watching from nearby) bundled everything into the car and drove off, still without a ticket.

That was back in the days when traffic wardens were human beings and were less inclined to give you a ticket automatically without considering whether there were any extenuating circumstances.

Reply to
NY

Dave Plowman (News) used his keyboard to write :

I have never come across a badly signed bus lane, I though though come across plenty of driver who cannot read the signs, or simply don't understand them. I always see lots of bus lanes devoid of any vehicles, outside of their operational hours.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have seen a small sign saying no stopping at a bus stop that one could only be expected to see when stationary.[1]

The obvious counter is to stop in the middle of the road and be damned.

[1] The bus stop in question had a camera pointed at it, so to catch drivers who set down passengers.
Reply to
Fredxx

Fredxx explained :

Probably not - now you mention it, our main st bus stop also has a camera pointing at it too. I have never heard of anyone being done for dropping off there or even parking there and obstructing the buses.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

Could be the issue with the odd parked car and having to pull out into a traffic filled second lane? I find London drivers much more generous than they were in my youth.

Reply to
Tim Lamb