Snow gates in Scotland (2023 Update)

Car parts make wonderful furniture:

Commander Kinsey

But there will be a lot of noise as she loses her balance and careers into the TV, which is now smashed on the floor.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I tire of your misspelling.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Both countries have a low population density, there's no need to live where you don't have room for 4 tyres.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Volvo says it all. Mine are generics and are drilled for both 4x100 and

4.114.3. I don't know if it's Amazon but a generic steel wheel that goes for 80 USD is listed at about £150. I looked at the current exchange rate and the pound isn't that far into the toilet yet.
Reply to
rbowman

Says someone who lives in a place that considers 2cm of snow a blizzard...

Reply to
rbowman

Ah, yes, 4x4s. Use 2WD until you are hopelessly stuck and engage 4WD. Realize you're still hopelessly stuck.

Apparently not. I've never caught the act.

Reply to
rbowman

The ghastliest one I read of, was a woman who was killed by the impact of her seatbeltless son's head fracturing her skull as he sat right behind her....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its odd. Mate has a volvo and a second hand alloy was £200, but I got a jaguar wheel and tyre for £130.

Steel wheels ain't £150.

The Natural Philosopher

That's a fancy foreign car. Do you get nailed for EU imports since Brexit?

That's in line with US prices considering it's a 20" wheel and I was mostly seeing 15".

Reply to
rbowman

Yes. You can pay over the odds for what amounts to a 'utility' wheel, but you dont *have* to.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj ...

All but one of my 4x4s have had permanent four wheel drive.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Illegal in the UK.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

In Scotland, there simply isn't impassible snow. The modern health and softy brigade closes roads for 1-2cm of snow! I drove my VW Golf (standard low profile tyres, not winter tyres or chains) uphill through almost a foot of snow successfully. All you need is skill and/or an automatic gearbox.

Modern snowcats go 10-18mph. Or you could just use a snowmobile, those are very fast.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Everything's illegal in the UK. Rules are for the obedience of fools.

So they made a safety feature illegal, ROTFPMSL!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Hmm... are they? I thought they were OK if the road was fully snow covered

It it isn't the tyre will wear out a lot faster than the road

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, not my definition of trailer. This is a trailer:

$_86.JPG

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's their choice and their problem.

There you go then. You did it, they failed. Their problem, not yours.

You can follow a truck with a 2 inch gap and save a tonne of fuel.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Don't get snow that deep here, they close the roads for a predicted 1-2cm, it was in the news.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey