Snow gates in Scotland (2023 Update)

Depends on the 4WD. Full time 4WD is relatively new and uses a center differential between the front and rear axles, like AWD, the difference being you can lock full time 4WD.

Traditional 4WD was not meant for pavement as the front and rear axles were locked together, meaning something has to slip while cornering. On the plus side you don't have a 4x4 stuck on the hill when the axle with no traction is merrily spinning.

Reply to
rbowman

The studs go into pockets molded into the tire tread. Unstudded snow tires often had the pockets anyway. I don't know if you can do so anymore but when I was a kid I'd get cheap snow tires and install the studs.

That's for bicycle tires but it's the same process. Any, yes, some people around here run with studded bike tires. Nokia used to sell them pre- studded but I don't know if they still do.

?v=FKHzvoc8YW4 There are purpose built dirt bike studs but that's two cheap methods. In the second video he used regular hex head self-tapping sheet metal screws, probably 3/8". There's plenty of depth on the lugs. Like he says, they will tear out if you spin the rear wheel excessively.

I've never seen the vestigial sidecar setup on ice. Interesting.

We used to race cars on the ice too. Time trials with plenty of hay bales since it was a run what you brung and nobody wanted to destroy their ride home.

Reply to
rbowman

Guess again, they actually have both and the Toyota LandCruiser handles both fine.

Reply to
farter

The Us has a myriad of problems but I'm quite happy we fought that little war a couple of centuries ago.

Reply to
rbowman

They would love this state. It's not uncommon to see a pickup towing a trailer (caravan) which in turn is towing a boat trailer. I had an endorsement on my CDL to haul doubles/triples but if you're a civilian whatever you can lash together is good to go.

Reply to
rbowman

How good is your reaction time? A loaded truck would take about 200' more to stop from 65 than most passenger cars, but the driver won't even notice you wedged under the ICC bar. I'll let you do the math on how many milliseconds it will take to travel 2 inches when he slams the airbrakes on all 18 wheels.

Reply to
rbowman

Limited slip diff anyone? My Honda CRV had a diff which had no slip limit, it was utterly pointless. One wheel could spin with three doing nothing. So one wheel drive.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ah, so you can't put them in a normal tyre?

More fun when cars get smashed up.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You don't even need to rock, just floor it and shovel the snow away with the tyres till you hit tarmac. Are you saying doing that with traction control it would just sit there and not provide any power anywhere?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Simply known as underride bars in the UK.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Merkins like their acronyms, like GFCI instead of breaker.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They are called All Season tyres. However, being a compromise, they don't work quite as well in summer as summer tyres nor quite as well in winter as winter tyres.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I'd never get out of my drive....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My freelander didnt have a differential, it was front wheel drive until the front wheels started to spin then a viscous clutch in the propshaft to the rears kicked in and made the rear wheels spin.

It was so good I nearly had an accident - the traction on snow was very good, but of course the brakes were no better...:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Would you be allowed those where winter ones are mandatory?

A garage has never asked me which kind of tyre I want, they just say "budget, midrange, or Michelin?" Are these all summer tyres? Or all season?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I fail to see why people have a problem reversing trailers. You just place the back centre of your car where you would place your hand were you pushing it by hand using the towbar of the trailer.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Endorsement?! Oh, you're using that word correctly. Why do the British driving authority get it wrong? Here, an endorsement on your license is what you get for speeding (i.e. a penalty point). Too many and you lose the license.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I guess yours was quicker than mine. By the time my rear wheels had started getting power, the front wheels had no traction at all.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I find any car with ABS brakes excellently in snow. There's always a wheel or two with a bit of traction, and it quickly swaps between them.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not illegal in as much as there is no law or regulation banning them, but unless the road conditions are suitable for their use they could be considered as damaging the road surface and possibly be illegal on wet surfaces, as they provide less grip than a 'normal' tyre in those conditions.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff