Snow gates in Scotland (2023 Update)

One is real, one appears to be real in as much as god appears to be real. One is a bad thing, the other doesn't exist so can't be a bad thing. No idea how you found either to be a good thing.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Except you believe the EU is a good thing, and climate change is a bad thing. That's the wrong way round

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed.

"NASA declares carbon dioxide is GREENING the Earth"

"In direct contradiction to the scare stories about carbon dioxide being relentlessly pushed by the climate change alarmists, a scientific study published in Nature Climate Change and highlighted by NASA reveals that rising carbon dioxide levels are having a tremendously positive impact on the re-greening of planet Earth over the last three decades, with some regions experiencing over a 50% increase in plant life."

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It is far from clear that what climate change is happening is actually a bad thing.

Yep.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Do you shovel snow like this?

Commander Kinsey

Ooooh! Snob! Only your group is the real group?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The 'ergonomic' shovel is similar but that's where the resemblance ends. On nice days I might get down to a t-shirt.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't get that shovel. You wouldn't get leverage. There's a reason for the straight shaft.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I was skeptical but it works. 1" to 3" are more common here than heavy snowfalls so I can push the shovel the width of the driveway and only pick it up to throw the accumulated snow over the berm. I've got a couple with straight handles that I rarely use anymore.

Reply to
rbowman

So it's basically a normal shovel with the middle part of the shaft moved up a bit so you can reach it easier. I guess it might work as long as the shaft isn't too flexible.

Why the hell would you bother moving that small amount of snow?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's rigid aluminum tubing. I can't feel any flex.

Habit? I grew up in an area with a lot more snow. You didn't let it get ahead of you and when you shoveled you threw it well back at the start of the season, knowing that the berm would keep growing.

There's about a foot total now. Shoveling a path to the shed would be a pain in the ass, but clearing out a few inches is not problem. As I said I can push the shovel about 5 feet before there's enough on the blade to throw to the side.

Reply to
rbowman

Plus, it packs down to ice when you walk and drive on it. If the temperature stays below freezing through multiple small snowfalls, you can end up with a lot of ice on sidewalks and driveways. That's heavy, wet, Michigan snow. YMMV may vary if you usually get dry snow.

We've had under 10 inches (25 cm) of snow thus far. If we're going to get our usual 36 inches (90 cm), February is going to be a busy month.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Surprising, I'd never use the word rigid along with the word aluminium.

Berm? I say pile, is that what you mean?

Pah, your footprints squish it plenty, as do your tyres. Just drive the car up and down the drive after each fall (that's snowfall not autumn).

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Learn how to set up a killfile properly you idiot. Why are you seeing replies to my posts if you've killfiled me?

Somebody reply to this so the moron sees it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Here you go.

Reply to
Lance Boyle

YOu probably won't see this because the thread is so old, and I may not see any answer because two posts here are sorted out of order for me and that may not continue to happen, but....

When I was in Mexico and Central America and someone offered me a cigarette (in 1971) I would say "No fumar". It took me weeks to realize that meant "No smoking". I'd seen it on signs in gas stations. Would you like a cigarette? Thank you, no smoking!

Then I switched to No fumo, with an accent above the o and the stress on that second syllable, mo. It took several days to realize that meant "He didn't smoke".

Finally I switched to No fumo, with the stress on fu. It didn't sound like Spanish to me, but it means "I don't smoke".

I'm sure I was amusing to many people who heard me say the first two.

Reply to
micky

I prefer the first option.

Reply to
Scott

The newest thread when sorting by date is the one with the newest post. Well it is on a decent newsreader.

Only to OCD Spaniards. I don't laugh when a foreigner says "yes I is wanting to apples eaten". It's quite clear he wants to eat some apples.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Treehugger.

Reply to