Snow gates in Scotland (2023 Update)

Same for me in French at school. I treated that class, along with history, geography, religious education, etc as a waste of f****ng time. I learned more French when I went on holiday there. "Je desirez un.... er.... that" Then they tell me what I'm pointing to. I might have been saying I strongly sexually desire a potato, not I would like to buy, but it worked.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

How on earth is it an advantage to be taught in a church?

Vous avez une problem avec votre Renault?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In the first half of the 1980s I was 5-10 years old. At 11 I was (illegally) taught some French in primary school. The teacher thought it would be a good idea. Only one pupil's mother complained, who was told to shut the f*ck up.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

When I went to school, "shop" consisted of sawing stuff. When I worked in a school 10 years ago, there was design on computers, but only after I persuaded more cash to be spent on that sort of thing, and after I did an insurance scam on some "broken" computers on a new for old policy.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why do you have a reply to address? My newsreader seems to ignore it, but I've had one in the past which will attempt to email that address. I found out when someone got very annoyed I was emailing their (genuine) email address "without permission".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

People in Provence will tell you that Parisians speak with an accent, and vice versa.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.home, Commander Kinsey snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com writes

Such a statement blatantly invites the question "How was it illegal?". care to elucidate?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Not allowed to teach French in a primary school. Dunno if it was a law, a rule from the education board, or what.

For the Merkins, the UK only has two schools, Primary (7 years) and Secondary (4 to 6 years).

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The typical shop student when I was in high school had problems figuring out those little line between the big numbers on a tape measure. A CAD application would leave them in the dust.

Reply to
rbowman

I learned all the French I need from a pop song. 'Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir?"

Reply to
rbowman

Years ago I had a guy that pulled parts from the warehouse. His typical measurement would be 24 inches and three little lines.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ah, I thought that meant "do you want to f*ck me on the couch". Google says otherwise.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I have asked for a piece of wood 16 inches by 4cm. I use whichever is closest.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The shop teachers where I worked would not tolerate such stupidity. They could yell loud enough to be heard the other end of the building. In fact I think it was a requirement to work there. A woman teacher tried it for 6 months and left.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

While I'm not above such mixing and matching, I tend to use the following format (for example), "15 inches, plus a half, plus an eight, plus a sixteenth".

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Have you ever asked for a twentyfirsth of an inch? Or is it twentyoneth?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In message snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.home, Commander Kinsey snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com writes

It's a question I wrestle with ceaselessly every day.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

No wonder you believe in the EU, and ClimateChange...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It would be funny if they admitted they'd got it all wrong because they confused mills and millimetres.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

One is real. One appears to be real. One is, on the whole, a Good Thing. One is almost certainly a Bad Thing, but why it's happening is debatable. Need I say more?

Reply to
Ian Jackson