Short IEC right angle cordset

No chance of progress there then...

Reply to
Richard

Very astute of you. I've tried and given up all they do is employ people to write fine sounding documents that mean virtually nothing in the real world. One example is the Occupational Health, Safety and Well-being Policy and Framework (Ref: QM_OHSD_GA001). I tried skimming through this 27 page document to see if I could find any information. I gave up and thought I'd use a search on the PDF for "electrical" and I couldn't find a single reference.

When you click on our departmental link "*Electrical safety - in preparation. Contains a link to the College information." you get sent to the ohsd. If you're really that interested it's here :-

But I reserve the right to claim it's my idea if you find that this site cures insommnia :)

Oh and our dept. H&S web site still lists fire marshals that left 4 years ago. and they have just put out a request for fire marshel volenteers to be trained/retrained. One has retired another now lives in the USA, they're probablity wondering why these individuals haven't replied for retraining.

I've refused for the past 4 years and plan to refuse this year too.

Reply to
whisky-dave

En el artículo , whisky-dave escribió:

Ah, academentia. Explains a lot :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Usual British disease .. piss poor management..

Reply to
tony sayer

Most firm's we work for do have a payment card available for small purchases in order to -reduce- the amount of paperwork required!.

We use ebay and have no problems in getting receipts etc.

What's wrong with a screen print of what they sell as a quote?.

Do you get quotes for other small items you might need?.

Reply to
tony sayer

We do too, but ebay is still frowned upon as most things can be brouhg from standard suppliers, so it's almost a last resort.

Don't think reciepts are the problem as such but teh admin cost might out weight any benifits as do cheques. If we need a chegue it takes two weeks as they meet once every 2 weeks, and admin says it cost 30 quid to generate a cheque.

not usually needed, but if you're going to an unknown supplier. But it is partly the hassle you go through in getting this sort of order processed.

Reply to
whisky-dave

is it just British I wonder.

anyway there's a H&S job going if anyones intrested.

whisky-dave

Sounds to me they exist for their own benefit rather than those there're supposed to serve..

Reply to
tony sayer

If I ran somewhere where safety critical parts had to be bought in - perhaps by someone not particularly qualified to do so - I'm not sure I'd allow them to use Ebay either. There is a lot of junk sold on there. As well as some good stuff.

Probably safer to stick to the likes of RS Components for things like mains leads.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nope, I expected to find "PAT" or "electric" but neither returned anything, I do hope you use a suitable acronym for

Wendy Appleby: Academic Registry Senior Executive

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Thats not the point Dave really is it ?. The OP does know what he wants just seems he's got his hands tied by the accounts bureaucracy..

Well if you can't find them at a better price and in this instance they don't have 'em;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

If caught short, RS are much cheaper than Maplin for mains leads, cat5 cables etc, and it's easier to park at a trade counter than a shop on the high street ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Properly specced mains leads are very widely available, so no sense paying RS's barmy prices.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ha

Reply to
tabbypurr

Wow really.., falls off chair, who'd have guessed ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes that's a/the good point and what I think is their point of view, they don't want the 'comeback' if things go wrong.

Well if they'd leave those that know what they are doing to decide it'd be OK but they have to be in 'charge' and assume we're as clueless as they are.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes we are in Mile End the closest RS is in Bow, I can walk there in ~30mins or so. I'd probabley use Rapid elec. anyway. Thing is I've a box of about 50 IEC leads that are ~1.8 metres unused. Presently concidering geting 20 from lindly as suggested.

Today I'm looking for low temp solder and I mean LOW temp of around ~150C so far I've found 3ft for $95. Need cheaper.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Indium wire?

Reply to
Andy Burns

that's strange I tried our search

and it didn't find her.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The point I was making is can you be sure they will be 'properly specced' when bought from Ebay?

I wouldn't guarantee it. But would from the likes of RS.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)