Right Angle Drills

Is there such a thing as a right angle hammer drill or right angle sds drill?
Kevin
Kevin pretended :

No it would be a physical impossibility.
Both SDS and straight hammer drill has to hammer in the same axis, in line with the bit. Not a bit of use hammering on the side.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Kevin pretended :

No it would be a physical impossibility.
Bollox !
A percussion mechanism where there are annular steps and a corresponding opposing face as in many cheap hammer drills would be possible as long as the drive is capable of being made to right angles... Just AFAIK no one has actually bothered to make one or an adapter unit with hammer action.
Whereas the hammer action of an SDS is a more mechanised version with pistons and sleeves in conjunction with an anvil device etc which would be near impossible to achieve at a right angle
On Friday, August 29, 2014 10:00:26 PM UTC+1, Nthkentman wrote:

IMHO sds are not hammer drills. My understanding is that a hammer drill 'bangs' in line with the drill bit whereas the sds drill 'bangs' in the rotational element, no ?
/fred - show quoted text - IMHO sds are not hammer drills. My understanding is that a hammer drill 'bangs' in line with the drill bit whereas the sds drill 'bangs' in the rotational element, no ? /q
Strewth GIYF
if its how you imagine, how can you chisel with an SDS on 'rotary stop'?
Jim K
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Kevin pretended :

Seems Bosch have had a go ! (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Nthkentman explained on 29/08/2014 :

Care to buy one and tell us how well it works? :')
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

A bargin at just £205 :-)
On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 22:54:13 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
I have used the Hilti one. It works.
It's harder to press the drill bit into the hole, because the bit is in the "wrong" direction wrt to the handle, but otherwise, it just works.
Thomas Prufer
fred presented the following explanation :

A straight forward hammer drill hammers using a pair of cogs facing each other, rather like the cogs in a ratchet. Pressure on the drill bit, forces the chuck to rise over each cog, then it is suddenly released at the peak.
I'm not sure of the SDS principle of operation, but I understand a piston is involved, which thumps up and down in line with the chuck. A much slower hammer, but much stronger and more effective.
I don't see how either effect can be turned 90 deg. My best guess is that the hammering is reproduced inside the Bosch gadget, from the drills rotation, much like inside a hammer drill.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Yes: Hilti TE-AC, order number 70591.
This is a 90° drill head for a Hilti hammer drill. The instructions show that it can be used with (and without) the hammer setting.
You may wish to find another way to solve the problem, as this solution has a list price of 390.89 Euros.
Thomas Prufer

No. SDS bangs in line with the drill bit, effectively with a small hammer hammering on the back end of the drill bit, and a chuck clamping mechanism which allows the bit to slide in and out in and out the chuck whilst being firmly clamped rotationally (so the chuck isn't involved in transmitting the hammer action to the bit, unlike a conventional hammer drill).
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 30/08/2014 16:53, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

It would be interesting to see what rotation stop setting did if it didn't do as Andrew writes.
--
Rod

On Saturday, August 30, 2014 4:53:49 PM UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Whoops. I was thinking about impact drills