Sell your scrap copper.

I have been throwing my scrap copper and brass into a pile for some years intending to take it to a scrap merchant sometime.

I got GPB 70 for a 32 kg of rubbish. I probably got a good price because my neighbour who was in the trade took it in for me, but still GBP70 is a loot.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

pre 1992 1 & 2p coins are apparently worth twice their face value in scrap value - although its illegal to melt them down! Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

A pity you cannot melt coins down, I could have made two new 10p pieces out of one old one.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That sounds as though you either didn't have a lot of copper or didn't separate it out.. Copper by itself should fetch around £2.80 - £3.00 / kg this week. £2.20 / kg is about right for brass swarf or heavy brass pieces.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Yes, we're very careful about sorting - except for ferrous metals which at the moment aren't bringing a huge amount. Copper, brasses and lead are valuable. We have a separate bucket for each, Spouse takes them down every few months. The ferrous stuff goes more or less to get it out of the way.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , nightjar writes

How much is aluminium then?

I just happen to have three redundant grain silos. Or, perhaps someone would like a 60' long Nissen hut:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I forgot about ally :-) We take that too but prices change, sometimes daily.

If I were anywhere near you ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'd live a 60' long Nissen hut (even better three of them).

I don't think it'll fit inside a 24' flat though. :-(

Owain

Reply to
Owain

i have a decent amount of lead ... where would i take it?

Reply to
mcmook

Find prices here:

as a rough guide, the London Metal Exchange prices are here:

Roger R

Whats the difference between heavy copper and braziery copper . A copper cylinder and some pipe ..Is that heavy copper .???

Reply to
Stuart B

Heavy, in this context, usually means big chunks.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Back to the church roof?

Scrap metal merchants are the place to sell scrap metal though.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I've never bothered with getting money for steel scrap. By agreement, it just goes into the scrap skip at a neighbouring factory. However, there appears to be enough money in it at the moment to make it worth while for people to pay our industrial estate for every dumped car removed. A few years ago we had to pay to have them collected.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

|!>> I got GPB 70 for a 32 kg of rubbish. |!>> I probably got a good price because my neighbour who was in the trade |!>> took |!>> it in for me, but still GBP70 is a loot. |!>

|!> That sounds as though you either didn't have a lot of copper or didn't |!> separate it out.. Copper by itself should fetch around ?2.80 - ?3.00 / kg |!> this week. ?2.20 / kg is about right for brass swarf or heavy brass |!> pieces.

|!Yes, we're very careful about sorting - except for ferrous metals which at |!the moment aren't bringing a huge amount. Copper, brasses and lead are |!valuable. We have a separate bucket for each, Spouse takes them down every |!few months. The ferrous stuff goes more or less to get it out of the way.

Agreed my neighbour did the sorting and I got GBP 2.15 per kg for uncontaminated copper, slightly less for copper with solder contamination and less for brass. Still IMO a lot of loot for small quantities of rubbish.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:31:14 +0100, "Roger R" wrote:

|!"Tim Lamb" wrote in message |!news: snipped-for-privacy@marford.demon.co.uk... |! |!> How much is aluminium then? |! |!Find prices here: |!

apply for *ton* quantities, most of us will have kg quantities for which you get lower prices.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

In message , Dave Fawthrop writes

I might find a ton:-)

Pay for taking them down, anyway.

Now anyone got a use for lots of 6mm stainless nuts, bolts and washers?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

"nightjar .uk.com>"

We don't have any local factories, we wouldn't make a special journey (the scrap yard's a mile away for goodness' sake!) but when we have enough other stuff the ferrous stuff goes along.

We have a very good relationship with our scrap yard, we've been dealing with them through four generations - theirs, not ours. For instance, when we want copper sheet they often 'sell' us a hw cylinder.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

i have a decent amount of lead ... where would i take it?

Look in your Yellow Pages for metal scrap merchants.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Wouldn't there be six from three silos?