Price paid for copper scrap?

I've got some steel and copper scrap to weigh in, I know the steel is £80/tonne when bought by the scrappie, does anyone have any idea of the price paid for copper now? Preferably in kilos. Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I have buckets full of copper pipe too, ready to take to the scrapper. Then it looked so artistic that I considered entering it for the Turner prize. Now I've decided to keep it as a good investment as the cost of copper has almost doubled in the past year and is still going up ...

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Dave Baker

Reply to
Mary Fisher

AOL. Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Not according the the link given by Dave Baker, though they are weekly prices, and it must fluctuate a lot. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

It does, but 'futures' is up again, I believe...

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Given the amount of mindless thefts you would think it was worth stealing - if you look at the price of new pipe in the Screwfix catalogue it makes you realise how mindless it is to put people at risk by ripping a few metres of gas pipe off a building.

The press doesn't help though when it quotes the cost of the repair ("Damage costing £5,000 was done when pipe was stolen as copper prices rise!!!). Maybe £5,000 for a council team to fix - but the pipe was only worth a bout £1.50.

Reply to
John

In article , John scribeth thus

Its happening all over.. Railways, Water companies, Churches and especially communications sites. The other week the scrotes set fire to a telecoms mast to burn the plastic off the copper cables and when ripping them out they bent the tower with the force they used around 100 K to re instate over 90% of out local water co have had sites where fittings have been nicked for damaged.

However one of them was electrocuted in Lincolnshire after attempting to get the cables off an 11 kV overhead line!........

Reply to
tony sayer

rise!!!).

I was at our local scrap place selling some copper ingots recently, when a BG plumber came in and unloaded brand new full lengths of 15 &

22mm out of his 'roof tube' . I expressed surpise and he said he now got shot of it as soon as possible otherwise the local pikeys had it away in quick time.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Oh Good. It should have had much more publicity.

Reply to
John

In message , tony sayer writes

"In October last year, thieves attached the lightning conductor of All Saints Church, Little Staughton, Bedfordshire, to their vehicle and drove away. They also brought down the top eight feet of the spire, which destroyed a gargoyle on its way down. Repairs will cost £36,000."

A pity it didn't land on their heads, God must have had a sense of humour failure that day.

Locally they have also stolen copper from radio station aerial sites which can if approached in the wrong manner cause horrific RF burns. Not to mention depriving people of radio reception until it is fixed.

Reply to
Bill

Ogrish used to have various pictures of human-shaped lumps of charcoal up poles/pylons, having met their ends whilst stealing HV cable. However, this was all in the 3rd world. Welcome to Britain...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Weighed in 215kg copper scrap on 1st September at £2000 per tonne.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Then you wrong. Steel is £1000/tonne and other m etal are £3000+

Reply to
zaax

Somehow, I think you are getting your figures a little mixed up. If steel was £1000/tonne, a scrap car would be worth £500. Steel/iron is paid at £80/tonne at the local scrapyard - I was there last week asking if old guttering was worth anything. If you know of anywhere paying £3000/tonne for old copper pipe, then please let me know, as it'll be worth driving there for the extra fee. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Saw some kids with a wheely bin climbing into the burnt pub. Obviously up to no good so asked in the library if they could ring the police. She says "oh yes they're nicking the lead" ... perhaps she thought it was ok, so I asked her again to ring the police.

The stress, time and effort of sorting out petty stuff is enough for it to be worth stamping down on it heavily. They've nicked drain covers round here. Who pays for them? Surely the scrappies need to not buy the stuff to stop the cycle?

Reply to
Mogga

It used to be aluminium barrels from outside pubs. The perps would put the barrel inside an old tyre and set fire to the tyre to melt the barrel into a less-recognisable shape. Of course the scrappy should have known that the charred, smelly lumps of aluminium were stolen, but I suspect they didn't care as long as there was "plausible deniability".

Reply to
Steve Firth