Is scrap copper worth anything nowadays?

Hi,

We are just in the middle (well, perhaps not yet in the middle) of redoing our kitchen in our much hacked about house. I have removed a whole load of redundant copper (and lead) piping and a hot water cylinder from the roof space which had undoubtedly allowed generations of plumbers to send their children to private schools and to skiing holidays in exclusive Swiss resorts.

Is it likely to be worth the trouble of cutting up to fit in the car to sell for scrap? What sort of price /Kg would I get? (Should I remove fittings or just leave them on?)

Cheers,

William.

Reply to
William McNicol

You will get enough to make it worth the effort, seeing as you need to get rid of it somehow, but you won't become a rich man.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Copper is at a very high price at present 1680 pounds a tonne, according to :

mrcheerful

In article , William McNicol writes

Its many years since I weighed-in any lead, but the chap advised me at the time that if I cut out the sweated joints from the lead pipe he would pay twice as much for those as for the pipe with joints.

J.

Reply to
John Rouse

I may soon be in the same position as William, how do I go about actually selling the copper to someone?

Neal

Reply to
Neal Jones

Just look up scrap metal dealers (non ferrous) in the yellow pages. Ring and they will give you the latest price they will pay, take it down, they inspect and weigh it and pay out cash. This is a very satisfying experience !!

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

It is indeed. But now we go to our local scrap merchant and buy copper cylinders from him. It's official and above board by the way, with all the necessary paperwork. We use the cylinder walls and return unused parts to him as scrap.

We make things from the copper sheet, it's far cheaper than buying it new and comes with a patina. Recycling at its best!

The scrap yard is also a very useful place becuase it has a weighbridge, great for assessing laden weights of vehicles, the caravan and the like.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

or =A31.68/kg I guess a scrappy will pay 50% to 75% of that if you are lucky...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes.. I have just taken out the copper pipe-work and copper HW tank and sold them for £25. It was a very small flat only two rooms. It was very important to remaove any brass fittings,(quite easy with copper pipe cutters).

Reply to
john

Thanks for all the advice folks.

I think I'll encourage my 15 year old son to sort it out for a share of the profits... He seems to like the idea!

Cheers,

William.

Reply to
William McNicol

Yes, it's the modern version of collecting jars and bottles to return to shops and pubs ... oh happy days ;-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I sold a cylinder and some old copper pipe to a scrap yard just a week ago - the rate (rang around, it was the same at all the scrappies) was £700 per tonne

- I got £18 so it's worth the effort.

Reply to
Paper2002AD

25kg equates to quite a lot, even including the cylinder ......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

There was fair bit of older copper pipe. Thicker than the modern stuff wannit?

Reply to
Paper2002AD

I phoned the local scrappy... he's offering £6.50 a stone for copper pipe. Should I report him to Brussels for using imperial weights? :-)

Cheers,

William.

Reply to
William McNicol

Tell us who he is!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, but if he refuses to to use metric then he's in trouble.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

[re selling copper by the stone]

Why? - some metals are sold by the troy ounce - none of your Frenchified "having of the pound" ounces either. Real ounces!

Seems to work for the Bank of England ...

DN

Reply to
Dev Null

I assumed William was referring to the so-called 'metric martyrs' who, contratry to newspaper reports, were not prosecuted for selling in imperial weights, but for refusing to sell in metric.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

Indeed I was. And I put a smiley... I'm quite happy to buy or sell in ounces, pounds, stones, hundredweights and the like since I went to school before the days of calculators and can do the sums in my head.... Still, I hear Tony Bliar is going to let us have a referendum about all this. Smiley ---> :-)

Reply to
William McNicol