Iron Gates: worth anything?

you could try e-Bay

Reply to
keith_765

Hi all

We have some iron gates that used to span our driveway. There are three sections, two of which are hinged in the middle. Each section is about 4 ft wide and 4ft high. They are in need of wire brushing and painting and both supports were cut off at ground level with an angle grinder. I was going to scrap them but someone said they might be worth something. What do you think?

Anyone know of a reclamation yard near Telford / Shropshire that might pay something for them?

Many thanks

Haymish

Reply to
Haymish

Lots of demand in Nigeria apparently.... :o)

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message , Haymish writes

any thing special about them, are they particularly old or anything?

Can't imagine a reclamation yard would otherwise be interested, don't think you'd get anything much for the scrap value

Reply to
chris French

Try,

dispose of them. But My neighbour might have use for some gates whereabouts are you?

Talk to me at gmail dot com

Oddballdave

Reply to
someone here

Advertised mine in the local paper, they were snapped up, several after them, sold to the first enquirer.

Reply to
Broadback

Too far away for me, and i'm after a set of reasonably secure gates for my driveway. About 6 ft tall and hard to break down/cut through.

Are these worth making to spec or getting a mannufacturing metalworker to do it ?

I suppose it depends on the availability of cheap steel, anyone got any plans or specs of steel (i.e. tube thickness) required ? I would imagine that they'd be fairly easy to fabricate, but might looks a bit 'industrial' in my case (with my welding skills ...) ! Not after any fancy swirls or 'wrought' features.

Alternatively anyone have any, or know a source of cheap gates in the Hampshire area ?! Std driveway width (8ft ?)

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy