Green belt planning

Am I just stupid or is it the planning department.

I basically want to knock down a large old garage as it is in a poor state. The house was was part of a farm years ago. However I am only allowed to rebuild it up to 70m3. Not even close enough to get my luton transit in.

I could apply for a planning application but it would be unlikely that I would get it since I am in the green belt.

Is it me or what? I can knock down a building but can't rebuild it to the same size!??

Reply to
david.cawkwell

I would make essential repairs to the existing garage, first this bit, then that bit..... etc etc and before you know it you have a nice well made garage. But make sure it is the same style and shape !

Many a barn is 'converted' into housing but precious little of the original structure survives.

As a matter of interest, which planning authority is causing you grief?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

"Andrew Mawson" wrote

Yes that was my first thought. Have you actually contacted planning about this? If so, I suppose it would be worth you ensuring that you can repair it (particularly if you can cite grounds of safety due to delapidation). Then plan an upgrade path that isn't frighteningly obvious as a rebuild. Bit of a PITA, but you can justify the works as each element falls into poor repair. Might be pushing things a bit to complete in a 6 month period :).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

delapidation).

rebuild.

I'm not aware of any planning issue that will prevent you repairing your property and keeping it in good order in a like for like manner. Things get a tad difficult if it is grade 2 listed, but the op didn't mention any such issue.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , TheScullster writes

Hmm... was it ever built as a domestic garage?

Very easy on agricultural permitted development to put up 450m2 every two years. Calling it a garage is a totally different issue.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Is this under Permitted Development rules?

New build in green belt is fairly strictly controlled (unless it's the council that wants to build a new school...) but, unless the area is Conservation Area or the building itself is Listed, extensions within the curtilage of a domestic dwelling are not more limited than anywhere else. Your application may be looked at more thoroughly with particular regard to scale and density, but I see no reason why you shouldn't get a bigger garage.

If roof height is the issue, you may be able to drop the garage floor below ground level with a ramp (and drainage).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Doncaster Council. I don't think the planner I was talking to had the right idea. All I want to do is improve the buildings I've got. The easiest way for me to do this is knock them down and replace them they are so poor. Repair really isn't a good way they are so poor. She said I could make a planning application but it would be unlikely to be approved as it would be over the 70m3 size. So this is how development is done in the UK. No wonder we have sky high house prices!

Reply to
david.cawkwell

The whole point is original building simply isn't worth it. I can knock down and rebuild for a fraction of the cost. The foundations, walls and roof all need replacement. This is just plain silly. My buildings can only get smaller! Now I know why the previous owner put up a set of stables without planning permission if this is how the council treat any sort of even small request.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

This is my next ploy. I'm thinking of buying some land nearby so that I can be classed as a farm. The sell it back to the farmer after I have the approval. Ho ho. Planning application =A350.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

In article , snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net writes

You're not going to be able to do that so you'll need to play 'the game' but that doesn't mean that you have to be too inconvenienced by their rules.

AIUI to avoid turning an old building into a new build you have to keep some of the structure of the old and from memory you need to keep a few courses of bricks above ground level on one or two sides. That gives you the opportunity to virtually raze the building to the ground, 'repair' the founds and build a few courses on the other two sides then move round and repeat the process on the other two sides, then complete your rebuild. It would make sense to record your 'repair' process to avoid a later claim that you had demolished old and built new.

Be aware that my comments are not based on direct experience so confirm this by your own research.

Reply to
fred