Planning permission for house for family

Are there special planning permission rules applying where one wants to build a house for a fmaily member (child) on one's own land? We have a small-holding in an area where adding new houses is basically not allowed but a few people have added houses for family members and/or workers.
We are thinking about (well, our child is thinking about) building a house adjacent to ours, space isn't an issue, we have around 9 acres and some is fairly lightly used at the moment. We are on a private road, services (water, electricity, drainage) are close.
So, can one get permission to build a house for family where one maybe couldn't get permission for just 'a house'?
--
Chris Green
·

nope

If you want to build a "granny" annex PP might be easier
tim
On 28/07/18 08:26, tim... wrote:

It being assumed that its hard to build a house on someone elses..
kind word alone.

developers often apply for PP on someone else's land.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 28/07/2018 11:23, charles wrote:

No longer true. One of the checks carried out now by the LA is to confirm ownership of the land.

I had a developer, two months ago, wanting to apply for PP on my land. he would buty if successful. The LA might check to see I I knew about it, but PP can be applied for by anyone.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 28/07/18 11:23, charles wrote:

Indeed BUT they dont BUILD on it

No but if they get PP they can then cone and offer you a shed load of dosh for it.
--
bert

Nice loophole - I'm building a house for my child - but once it's finished I'll sell it!
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 28/07/2018 11:54, alan_m wrote:

ISTR that when we bought our current place (green belt) it was possible to build a granny annex etc but one would not be permitted to ever sell it as a separate entity.
--
Cheers,

John.
Chris Green wrote:

You can get special permission for an agricultural workers' dwelling, but you have to demonstrate a suitable need.
I get the feeling that councils are very wary, because after a few years people try to wriggle out of them, and revert it to a "normal" house with no strings attached, so I wouldn't see it as an easy way to get permission you wouldn't ordinarily get.

Yes, thanks, I think a couple of the local cases where a house has been added have been for "agricultural workers". I was just wondering if there was also a 'family member' possibility, probably not.
--
Chris Green
·

In Cornwall, and probably other rural holiday areas as well, it's not uncommon for a farmer to apply for PP to convert a disused or even derelict barn into holiday accommodation, to make a bit of money on the side and generally contribute to the local economy through tourism. Holiday accommodation usually means occupancy for no more than ten months of the year, sometimes with additional constraints on the period of occupancy by any one tenant.
After a few years, the farmer may then try to have the status of the property upgraded to full residential, knowing that if he gets it, he can make a tidy profit by selling it off. But the council are generally wise to that sort of thing and don't look kindly on it.
--

Chris

Chris Hogg wrote:

Under "Class Q" there's a standing presumption to convert disused farm buildings direct to residential (subject to the rules).
On Saturday, 28 July 2018 09:50:30 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

In Wales I saw a lot of 'agricultural buildings' that looked suspiciciously like detached bungalows without window frames.
After a few years they moved the cows out, put in windows, and sold at a profit.
Owain
On 28/07/18 09:31, Chris Hogg wrote:

Some councils are very indulgent of farmers and landowners and look extra kindly on them.
There are a number of wheezes for getting a dwelling allowed on agricultural land. One we see a lot of here is 'Holiday lets'. That's a commercial development and not a residential proposition, see? But of course nobody knows or checks or cares who is actually living there.
TW
Depends very much on the local plan. I know the local plan around here seems OK for what they call Granny Flats in the same plot, but of course if somebody sold off their garden and a developer wanted to build it would not be allowed Sadly the Government are changing the rules so that any old thing can get permission on appeal it seems, but that no doubt is the typical knee jerk reaction to the housing shortage which the population will have to live with. A lot of the problem is density and infrastructure, ie where to put cars and where are the roads, schools etc. I see a lot of single houses going up here, but if you are mostly rural there could be other rules. All roads lead to the local council officers I suggest. Brian
--
----- --
On Friday, 27 July 2018 22:33:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:

You may be able to get permission for an extension or an annexe provided it is "incidental to the enjoyment of the main dwelling house", i.e. not a se parate dwelling, or if it falls within permitted development you will not n eed permission. You will need permission for a new separate dwelling.
Also, you may be able to have a non-permanent structure without permission (or it may be easier to get permission for).
https://www.logcabinhub.com/log-cabin-planning-permission-uk/ and lots of others.
Owain
On 28/07/2018 10:47, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

In the Horsham area, there seems to be a rash of 'caravans' being installed without planning persmission after one land owner won an appeal.
All the 'planning consultants' are piling in.
Not just 'travellers' either.
See Horsham District Council DC/18/1494
On 27/07/2018 22:27, Chris Green wrote:

I would expect there to be a local plan which details what is allowed. You can always contact local planning office. Parish councillors will likely know about local rules. You chances of getting planning permission are somewhat reduced if you are in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or Green Belt.
--
Michael Chare