Cleaning burnt copper wire

I've got some burnt copper cable for scrap and want to get a good price for it. I've been cleaning it with water from a hose while it's still hot and tried battery acid on it too. It finishes up clean, with that dull pinkish copper colour, but lots of the stuff I see at the scrap yard is bright and shiney. How do other sellers get it so clean and bright. Any ideas or am I being too fussy?

AL

Reply to
Al M

That reminds me I have an old HWC lying around and some copper pipe pieces . How much do they buy copper for now ?

Reply to
Stuart B

Hmmm... How much copper wire is used in the field coils around the yoke of the average CRT television set?

Non-ferrous scrap metal prices: £ per tonne on 11 Sept 2007 dry bright wire £3200 heavy copper £2800 No 2 copper wire £2500 braziery copper £2300 insulated copper cable 45% £900

Reply to
Adrian C

When it is bright and shiny, it probably hasnt been burnt, but cut out.Time consuming, but the copper is in perfect condition when done that way. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

In article , Al M scribeth thus

No what you see there has been more likely than not been nicked!.

Let them have it in its raw state.....

Reply to
tony sayer

The local refuse collection chappies do not burn the insulation off, what they do is use a knife to remove the first foot or so of insulation then tie/wrap the (bared) end to the steering wheel of their vans then they pull the wire out of its insulation sheath . They then sell the copper thus liberated. Along with the money made from cans and other bits of scrap they (well certain of them) have no need of wages

Reply to
soup

And then dump the insulation in the pond at the end of my lane.

:o(

Reply to
Huge