Grouting mosaic-effect tiles

We've put the tiles up and we're having a little trouble grouting them.

They're not mosaic-effect, but the principle is the same - 400 * 250mm tile subdivided with fake grout lines into 12 rectangular tiles.

The biscuit was brown, so we've used that Versatile grout paint to stain the shallow fake grout lines white. Very glad we did as we're having trouble getting the grout to stay in them.

We're applying the grout @ 30* and both the deep (real) and shallow (fake) lines are fine. However using the float at 90* just pulls all of the grout out of the fake lines. Likewise using a sponge or a grout smoothing tool to get that concave look.

The only thing that seems to work is puting it on, leaving it 20 mins, taking off as much as possible with a filling knife/scraper and then using a finger on all of the grout lines.

Slow and painful, so any ideas for a better way?

Reply to
Bromley86