Clever tile grouting on walls

The usual technique for grounting tiles with radiused edges is well known, shape the grout with a dowel etc. However, I had a problem with some cheap tiles where there was no glaze round the "edge" of the tile. When you radiused the grout in the usual manner, it exposed the "corner" where the dark biscuit showed through. A white biscuit would help here, but the issue remains. Problems were the dark biscuit but also the lack of glaze on the edges. The usual technique with a dowel recesses the grout a bit, which also makes wiping off easier without smudging the grout. I noticed some tiles recently (radiused edge, not square edged porcelain) in a commercial building, where the grouting was very shallow. i.e, near the surface of the tile and flat, not radiused like when you use a dowel. If I knew how to do that, it would solve the problem with the cheap tiles I mentioned earlier. I'm not sure how they got the flat shallow grout lines whilst managing to wipe off the surface sufficiently. Anyone know the trick ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

If you use an ordinary powder grout, just used a flat spatula (or large diameter dowel, etc) to finish it and don't worry too much about any remaining on the glaze. Once it's dried it will come off easily enough. But not if you're using that combined adhesive and grout. Dunno about epoxy types.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I really wonder if using a piping bag to grout would not be quicker. It takes quite an effort twisting the wrist for diagonal strokes and pushing the rubber grouting float over the surface, when, especially for larger tiles, one could just pipe it and finish it. I wouldn't try that for mosaics though ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Never heard of using a dowel: sounds inordinately tedious. I use a grouting float (rubber pad on a handle), which lets you grout almost flush (then you can get a recessed grout line by wiping over with a damp sponge before the grout sets.

Mind you I'm a plumber, not a tiler, so maybe this is all bollox ;-)

Reply to
YAPH

Doing it the way you suggest surely leaves the grout level with the tile face ? I have tiled a few times and have always used a dowel to recess the grout between the tiles . I have used other things like those Plasplug things like a square piece of plastic with a blunt pointy end ..

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

But isn't the whole point to force the grout deep in to the gaps and a piping bag would not do that .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

I guess I mean something like a sealant gun (you can buy empty ones I believe) that would allow forcing into the gaps. I've seen lots of lazy "professional" tiling where the grout is coming away, say around corner beading, and you can see it only ever formed a thin crust over thin air. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

No a grout flost is a smooth tough but flexable face on soft foam it deforms into the grout lines how much depends on how hard you push. You should be pushing reasonably hard to squidge the grout fully into the gaps anyway.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yeah ..I do know what a float is .I use that myself to spread the grout but I still use a dowel to get the finish I desire which I guess is also why others use one too. as mentioned here

NOSPAMnet

It certainly saves the index finger, which can pretty damned sore. A lot depends how flat the tiles are. No amount of creative grouting can disguise a wavy wall

Reply to
stuart noble

No indeed.....Nothing looks better than a perfectly flat wall well tiled and grouted but uneven tiles stick out like a sore thumb..

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

I have achieved that 'flush' look but totally by accident. The grout batch I used went bloody rock solid in 6 hours and I was desperately trying to remove it.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Having seen a kitchen fitter grouting with a sponge I did my bathroom the same and found it very satisfactory Needs to be a grouting sponge, mind. The one I got free from a petrol station with a car cleaning ket was quickly ripped to shreds.

Reply to
Peter Johnson