fitting mosaic tiles?

OK guys what's the trick?

Slap them up they slide down the wall - have to keep jiggling them till the adehsive starts to go off. 2nd sheet I did I taped the top row to the wall but it still had to jiggle them as the net backing seemed to stretch - if not disintegrate - when wetted with tile adhesive. Took bloody ages and still didn't look too good.

If I have to do more I'd be inclined to gripfill 'em on :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Spread the adhesive nice and thin - 2mm spreader.

Use an adhesive suitable for mosaic tiles. I don't know what the differences are but it seems that some are and some aren't. I've used some of that ready mixed nasty sticky white stuff and had the problem you've had. I've recently done some in the bathroom using some BAL ready mixed water resistance adhesive (green lid) and had no problems.

Andy

Reply to
Andy P

I recently tiled an entire bathroom with a mosaic and got good results. It sounds like you could be spreading too much adhesive? I got good results using a foot long steel ruler and a rubber grouting trowel. I found that if you used the ruler to pull the mosaics into place you spread the force and the paper was less likely to disintegrate, once I was reasonably happy with the placement I used the rubber grouting trowel to tamp the tiles into place - this kept them level to the wall and stopped them from sliding around. The worst thing about mosaics is grouting, I must have mixed 150kg of grout - It's 2ft by 1ft tiles for the next bathroom!!

Derek.

Reply to
Derek