Earth Bonding

I have recently had a new bathroom installed, but the plumber did not install supplementary bonding. I have decided to do it myself, but am unsure as to where to place the certain earthing connections. The plumber has used between the water supply pipes and taps, a plastic connector. Should I connect the supplementary bonding above, below, or in both places ?

Reply to
Lee Young

All metal pipework should be bonded with proper earthing straps.

These should answer a lot of your questions:

BigWallop

If the plumbing is all plastic, then supplementary bonding may actually reduce electrical safety. However, if it is all metal, but with 30cm of plastic tube, then it isn't clear whether or not you should bond after the break according to the regulations. It is certainly recommended not to bond if there is more than 1m of plastic. (BTW, the exposed metal pipework would always be bonded, it is only the taps and bath/radiators that are in doubt if insulated from the main pipework).

Note that electrical appliances should always be bonded. However, in a fully plastic plumbed room, you may only have one such device and nothing to connect it to.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Sorry but many appliances are double insulated and do not need to be bonded. Kitchen hoods are an obvious example.

Reply to
G&M

On Wed, 19 May 2004 19:10:45 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "G&M" strung together this:

But you don't usually find those in bathrooms, an extractor fan is more likely and fits the analogy better!

Reply to
Lurch

Sorry - I didn't realise we were discussing bathrooms.

Reply to
G&M

You only need supplementary bonding in bathrooms, though. Kitchens do not require it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Connect the pipework to each other (assuming metal) and to the earth in the electric shower. If there wasn't an electric shower, you would only connect the pipes together. There is no specific need to connect to an actual earth unless there is electrical equipment involved. If there is a radiator in there, then this will need bonding too, unless it is fed by plastic pipework.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle