In-line tap question

I've just used an in-line tap to turn off water supply to an outside tap. It has a compression fitting each end and is operated with a screwdriver. However, the metal is very soft and the driver no longer grips it and I have been unable to fully turn it back on.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to rectify this problem? If it involves replacing the in-line tap is this easy to do, or should I get a plumber?

Regards,

Ian

Reply to
Ian Waddell

Swap it for a lever ball valve. This will resolve the screwdriver nonsense and is also full bore so the tap will work better.

Here's an example.

and plumber's merchants have them.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:27:47 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Andy Hall strung together this:

Good so far, and advice to be acted upon.

Unless it's anything other than a standard tap the bore of the tap won't be much different to the service valve, still fit a full bore valve though. A lot better for ease of use.

Reply to
Lurch

If the screwdriver slot is chewed up, there ain't a lot you can do - other than replace the whole thing.

This is very straightforward - as long as you have the right size spanners (or adjustables) and a modicum of common sense. You'll probably find that the compression nuts and olives from the existing fitting will fit the new one - so it's very easy to replace as long as you've got a bit of axial play in the pipe.

As someone else has suggested, a better solution may be to use a full-flow lever-operated valve instead. This would probably be a bit longer than the existing fitting. If so, you may have to cut a bit off the pipe and remake one of the compression joints. Again, not rocket science!

Reply to
Set Square

On Wed, 19 May 2004 16:32:39 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Derek strung together this:

I would have thought it would have been easier to turn the gas tap off at the meter. No pipe holding and all done before 10:01am.

Reply to
Lurch

I didn't say he was smart!

Reply to