Gas pipe tie in

Our home has all of the gas pipe run in black with threaded connection. We are in need of bring in a gas drop to an unused up stairs closet that we want to turn into a second laundry room.

There is a gas line that runs in the wall in the very closet where the new laundry room is to be located. What is the best way to tap into the existing gas line?

I can get a pipe cutter on it to cut the pipe and thread it, but I can't think of any fitting that I could use to make up the new connection except a union and as I recall, unions are not allowed to be concealed inside walls.

Any suggestions?

TIA - Pete

Reply to
Peter B.

use nipples and 90,s to bring gas line out side of wall install tee, union ,valve behind dryer test for leaks patch wall done

Reply to
jim donovan

Are you adding another dryer or just moving it?

You need to do a load study of the whole gas distribution system to see if you can tap in there. The size of the service from the meter and the pipe size of the branches must be figured. You can't simply tap in wherever is convenient.

Dryers use a good volume of gas. You may need to run a separate branch down to the service and increase the size of the service back to the meter.

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

First make sure you are not going to overload the system by adding the dryer. Then find a reversing nipple and coupling. These have a normal pipe thread on one end and a left-hand thread on the other. Nipple and coupling both go together. One wont work without the other. And if you just order the nipple, that's what you will get. (don't ask me why, that's just the way supply houses are.) You might be able to buy one from a gas company if your plumbing supply houses don't sell to the public.

Reply to
Dale Wilcox

"jim donovan"

You seem to know what you're talking about, but I'm going to have to teach you about capitalizing proper nouns, using punctuation, and writing in complete sentences.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

i agree,all those days at the beach instead of at school have taken there toll.GO CANES

Reply to
jim donovan