Chimney hood wiring

I'm about to install a stainless steel chimney hood and am wondering where to mount the switched FCU which will power it. Aesthetically I'd like the FCU to be invisible, but unless I do some long wiring runs the only place to hide it is inside the (removable) chimney itself. As the chimney will be recirculating, not vented, this means that the FCU would be subject to a flow of warm and possibly moist air passing up the chimney to the grilles at the top. I don't know whether this is against regulations, but it doesn't seem like a good idea. Would anyone disagree ? Cheers, Steve

PS - hints for getting carpet glue off a concrete floor also appreciated !

Reply to
Steve Wilson

On 18 May 2004 12:45:17 -0700, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Steve Wilson) strung together this:

I wouldn't do that. Try to hide the spur in an adjecent cupboard, how far away is the nearest one?

I've got just the tool for the job, a bit pricey for DIY use though! Scraper and hard graft is the cheapest.

Reply to
Lurch

"Steve Wilson" wrote | I'm about to install a stainless steel chimney hood and am wondering | where to mount the switched FCU which will power it. Aesthetically | I'd like the FCU to be invisible,

Use a stainless steel FCU next to it and it will look designed?

| PS - hints for getting carpet glue off a concrete floor also | appreciated !

Blowtorch?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Too far !!

Out of interest, what is the pricey tool that you have ??

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Excellent idea - I've been out and found a nice stainless flat plate FCU. I didn't realise you could find FCU's in trendy finishes.

Been there - very hot, bad smell, no effect !!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Wilson

On 19 May 2004 13:09:58 -0700, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Steve Wilson) strung together this:

Fein Multimaster, bought it at interbuild on offer the other year for about £165. I used it to remove bits of gluey stuff from some concrete floors recently and it went well.

Reply to
Lurch

Pricey, but worth every penny, IME

One of the tools I use the most.....

Small enough to get into smallish spaces but powerful enough for the job.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Wed, 19 May 2004 21:48:20 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Andy Hall strung together this:

Yep, I'm amazed at the amount of jobs I find for it. And the power, especially when you consider its size, is fantastic. I don't know how I ever managed without it. I'd definitely recommend one to any heavy diyer or semi-pro person in pretty much any trade.

Reply to
Lurch

What is it ?

Reply to
G&M

On Wed, 19 May 2004 23:01:40 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "G&M" strung together this:

It's amazing.

The one I've got is this one.

do others too, go and search for "multimaster".

Lurch

with them and the case for storing all of them.

I've got the TOP21 as well.

There's info on the Axminster site as well

info on the myriad of accessories.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Actually, I already own a Fein Multimaster !! It's a wonderful tool with many uses, but I didn't have too much success trying to remove carpet glue with it last year. Which blade did you use? Regards, Steve

Reply to
Steve Wilson

On 20 May 2004 11:23:31 -0700, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Steve Wilson) strung together this:

Most of them! Mainly the wide, flat knifey type one and the carbide grinding plate affair.

Reply to
Lurch