Chimney Type Extractor Hood - 13 amp socket

Please help in a dispute with my wife.

I think the socket should be alongside the chimney so that it is accessable for isolation. She wants it inside the (dummy) chimney so that it isn't seen.

What is correct?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Whatever she says, regardless of any regs or regulations.

Reply to
ARW

In article , DerbyBorn writes

Both wrong :-)

Feed it from a switched FCU at the same level as above counter power points and isolators for fridge sockets, then take concealed wiring from there. Just above the main hood but to one side of the chimney might be acceptable if you really want it that close. Not anywhere under the chimney as it will get covered in grease.

Reply to
fred

Isolators for fridge sockets above the worktop?

Not in my kitchen:-)

Reply to
ARW

Good point, mine doesn't have one at all.

Reply to
fred

Those bastards at Currys muttered about it when they fitted my new washing machine. I paid the 20 extra to watch somebody else struggle.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

fred wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y.z:

I was expecting the electrician to follow my "suggestion" about isolation points above the worktop but he poo-poo'ed the idea and said that just fitting a local socket near the appliance was the usual way of doing it. The socket for the extractor was already in situ but was previously above a built in extractor. Now we have a chimney hood and it is 1 inch to one side and about 10" from ceiling. Not easy to move and it is on the ring.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

In article , DerbyBorn writes

You could swap the socket for a switched FCU which I think would look neater. Nothing stopping you taking cable (or flex) from the FCU into and down the chimney section to the fan electrics provided there is a separate duct in that section. No visible cabling needed at all if you chase the inch from behind the FCU to behind the chimney where it will be hidden.

Reply to
fred

My preference is for wiring it to an FCU (ie with buried cable) which is hidden inside the nearest wall cupboard.

That solution should tick the boxes for both of you!-- David

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster wrote in news:P4uCt.10285$DP6.9584 @fx10.am4:

Best idea - but a bit tricky as the shocket that is nearby is on the ring and also has an additional earth wire - prhaps from the bathroom radiator above. Will give it some thought as the CU is in that cupboard so could spur from the circuit breaker.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Reply to
John Williamson