Grouting Mosaic effect Tiles

We have had soem mosaic effect tiles put up in the bathroom. They are 8" tiles with a 10 x 10 grid of 'fake' mosaic tiles on them.

What is the best way of grouting? Is to to only grout in between the full 8" tiles or is it to try and filll the fake grout lines also to ensure an even look?

So thats it. Do i grout the whole thing or just the 8" squares where the gaps are?

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Lewis

If the fake grout lines are glazed, then you wont be able to apply grout to them successfully. If they are not glazed you will need to grout them.

Reply to
David P

The whole thing, usually. However, if the channels are shallow, you may find it difficult to change the grout "colour", so you may be required to use white grout to avoid patchiness. If the channels are deep, or continuous to a webbed backing, then this is not an issue.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

They are not glazed. Looks like a full grout is neede then!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Lewis

BTSTGTTS ;-)

The only way I could find to do it was to grout the fake lines as well. If you don't, you end up with lots of snotty bits of grout stuck in all the fake lines near the actual grout lines.

On the positive side the grouted fake lines showed no indication of not staying put.

Use a rubber faced grout float, and expect to use copious amounts of grout. Once done (if you have the tiles spaced correctly) the real grout lines should be indistinguishable from the fake ones.

Reply to
John Rumm

All you have to do then is keep them clean and dry ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Whats the betting the 8" tiles have been spaced and will stand out a mile afterwards because the grout between the tiles will be wider than the mosiac?

Reply to
TonyK

Shouldn't that be BTDTGTTS? Or am I missing something?

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well to be fair it was a bit of both (ST=Seen That Vs. DT=Done That) - I grouted some, worked out there was no chance of making a neat job of just grouting the actual grout lines, and so grouted a few square yards all over, and left my mate to finish the rest of the blasted things! (well it was his kitchen!) ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm