Radiator Scrap Value

I listed an old single panel rad on Freecycle but had no takers .I was going to leave it out on Wed night for the Cleansing to uplift on Thursday on their Bulk Uplift but I was wondering if they have any scrap value?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Very little! I got 10p per Kg when I recently took one to the scrappy.

However, if you've got any old brass fittings - radiator valves etc. - there're worth *much* more pro rata.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It's what's called "light iron". I think that's about 1p/kg was about 2.5p/ kg in June.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Not this month - last month yes !! Our local scappy will now take in 'light iron', but won't pay for it or collect it. All because the Chinese have too much already.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

But how do you sell them? Do you need to collect together a decen total weight? If i take them to our coluncil dump they don't give anything.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Yes, it is worth saving a decent weight before weighing them in, as otherwise you'd be spending more in petrol than you'd get for the scrap. How the prices paid has plummetted makes scrap metal almost worthless again, so be prepared to see abandoned cars left in the streets, old radiators lying around etc. Steel has plummeted recently, I think 10p/kilo is rather more than can be had now, it is traded at £10/tonne, that is for large weights, small amounts are paid at half that if you are lucky. Copper alloys are also less than half the price of the summer, it was £3/kg in June, the wholesale price is now £1.20/kg.

See here:

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Also it seems that the days when you could get a few quid for a scrap car are over. I had to pay a few weeks ago to get rid of a car. Only a tenner but the balance has swung the other way.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Jump on it and put it in the wheelie bin!

Incidentally, I saw a guy take a lot of pipe and fittings to the council tip - what a waste - best to separate the metals (mixed scrap is worth less) and take it to a scrap merchant. (or save the petrol and leave it out for the pickeys to collect it.

Reply to
John

I had a fair-sized heap 'cos I replaced all my radiator valves. They weighed it at 3Kg and gave me £3.50 - not a fortune, but better than the £3 I got for a 30Kg radiator. It was only a mile extra to the scrappy compared with the tip - so it more than paid for the extra fuel.

[It amused me the way they weighed the radiator. They weighed my car - first with it and then without it, and subtracted one from the other! Now, if they'd let *me* sit in the car for the first weigh . . ]
Reply to
Roger Mills

but the staff at the tip separate it don't they?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL