Scrap prices

In case it is of interest to anyone else sat on a pile of scrap that is awaiting a round tuit, I got round to taking the old bits of heating system to the scrap yard today.

Copper cylinder (indirect, prolly about 950x450) got £40

8kg of pipe offcuts etc they took as copper and that made £28.50 5kg of braziery made £17 and 3kg of brass got £7.50

On the Fe side of the yard, 160kg of old boiler[1] and a couple of rads got another £17.60

(was quite surprised that much of the stuff I had classed as braziery (i.e. offcuts with soldered fittings, or with backnuts and olives still on), they actually classed as copper, and much of the stuff in my brass bucket they took as braziery - still, not complaining ;-) )

[1] Its gas valve made £39 on ebay, the programmer £39, and the prog stat £16
Reply to
John Rumm

Also, I am informed that the rules change on 1/12/2012 and thereafter they can't pay cash and charge you VAT on what they pay out. No, I didn't get that last one either, but it was a plumber wot told me, it may or may not be right.

You may want to cash in your scrap before the end of the month

Reply to
Onetap

I could just about understand the scrap yard having to pay VAT to the scrapper if he were vat registered ie a normal selling process between traders but I can't see vat passing in the other direction can be right? Or is it the opposite of value added. ie when something functional is scrapped, value is reduced?

I'll be scrapping a boiler and tank next year so it will be interesting to see how it works.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I could just about understand the scrap yard having to pay VAT to the scrapper if he were vat registered ie a normal selling process between traders but I can't see vat passing in the other direction can be right? Or is it the opposite of value added. ie when something functional is scrapped, value is reduced?

I'll be scrapping a boiler and tank next year so it will be interesting to see how it works.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Was talking to our dealer the other day, seems its more to do with tracing metal theft than anything else...

Reply to
tony sayer

Yup, there was a sign up in the office to that effect....

I could see the logic of a vat registered seller charging vat on the scrap value... i.e. they offer £100 scrap but pay you £120 inc VAT. Then when they sell the scrap they also charge VAT, and pay HMRC the difference.

Well since it was not borrowed from a local street corner etc, taking payment by cheque would have been a non issue for me ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

They seemed pretty hot on that anyway - wanted ID (which they copied), car registration number etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Makes a perverse sense, in that the majority of people taking scrap in won't be VAT registered, or even if they are they'd expect it to be off the books. Millions of these transactions take place in the course of a year and it would be a nice little VAT earner - so why not charge the transaction and take a VAT sum from it? Topsy-turvy in the way it's done, but at least that way the gov't can be sure of getting its cut.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

========================= ================\

========================= ================/

i have an old boiler not a copper cylinder 1 big boxed in 1 in kitchen how much will it be worth scrapping , got new 1 installed

Reply to
kellyorourke41

Wonder what those cylinders encased in "foam" are worth then.

I never actually taken stuff to the scrappy though - do you just turn up and say "oy! wot's this worth t'ya mate" :-) (or is ia a barter job? I'd be not good at that.)

I have a few old but large auto batteries to get rid of.

btw Your post explains why that scrap collector lorry drives around here every few days.

Reply to
dave

It is a long time since I took in any scrap (even longer ago than the original post in this thread) but all the reputable scrap dealers I used had a price board up near the office, showing what they paid for what type of scrap. The only thing you might end up discussing is exactly which category your scrap falls into, unless it is very carefully sorted into individual metals, which is not always possible with plumbing offcuts.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

To give you some idea of the prices for different grades ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I took my old 900x450 foan insulated cylinder to the local scrappy last wee k and got a cheque for 43 quid

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Scrap boilers themselves are worth relatively little, but if its an equal choice of the sump or the crap yard, then its probably worth scrapping. I probably got £12 for my boiler (100+ kg)

Reply to
John Rumm

Similar - same amount of copper as without foam. Some may want the foam removed though and others may take them foamed but pay less.

They have published prices usually for all the various categories. At out local one, you take the non ferrous stuff to a special section where they sort and weigh it and give you an itemised printout of what you have scrapped. The general scrap they handle with a weighbridge - basically paying the difference between vehicle weight in minus weight out.

and why manhole covers and street signs etc go walkies!

Reply to
John Rumm

I have to say I was quite pleasantly surprised by ours in that I had sorted it into clean copper, brazing copper, and brasswear. He sorted through and recategorised most of what I had as brazing copper into the clean copper pile.

Reply to
John Rumm

Looking at that, I'm glad I made our roofers leave the c.50Kg lead from the valleys. About £50 at least ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk