Some double glazing choices

I'd like to have both rear windows of our 3 bedroom semi double glazed. At the 'mo I can only afford to have one done. The two windows are above each other - bedroom and living room. If I do just the one - which is it best to do ie are there structural or other reasons to decide which? (I know it's best to wait to have both together - but unlikely to be any cheaper I suppose)

How much approx should I expect to pay? Windows are both approx 170 cm x 135 cm

Any recommendations for a "good" (ie inexpensive & reliable :-) ) DG company in the Nottigham area? Thanks

Reply to
dave

If you don't have an idea of how much it might cost, how do you know you can only afford to have one replaced?

(no, it doesn't make any difference which one you have replaced first)

Reply to
Grunff

If you DIY, you could have both. It's not a particularly difficult job.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Wondered if anyone would say that - well I have heard various prices from folk - wanted to get some guessimates from people that might know.

Reply to
dave

That's a real scary suggestion Steve (for me it is)!

I'm not too bad at DIY but the thought of knocking out the old frames then making some DG ones that actually fit is a trifle worrying. I wouldn't mind if someone showed me how to do one in the first place - but as no is going to...

Just have a picture of the entire side of the house collapsing! Oooow

Hey there's a web project for someone in the know. How to fit DIY DG - with pictures :-)

Reply to
dave

If you get some quotes, they will range from £200 to £1000 per window - the variation is really quite shocking.

Find a nice, friendly local (not a national chain) company, and get them to quote.

Doing both at once will be cheaper - one trip to measure up, one trip to fit.

Fitting them yourself cheaper still, it really isn't that hard.

Reply to
Grunff

You don't make the DG frame yourself. If they're standard sizes you can buy off the shelf at Wickes, otherwise you measure the opening (before you remove the old ones - LOL) and order them. Measure across top, middle and bottom. Take the smallest measurement and subtract 5mm. Do the same for the height. Something like that, anyway. That's the size you need to order. Specify how many panes and whether any should open. Look for suppliers in local free paper, many will do "supply only" or, again, Wickes will make to order.

The existing openings should have lintels supporting the brickwork. If the frames are structural then I would worry about most "professional" DG firms doing the job.

Go to Wickes and pick up their good ideas leaflet on the subject, or (no pictures) see

or a host of other pages found by googling "fitting upvc windows site:uk".

I have no idea of how Wickes DG frames compare qualityor price wise, etc.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Phew - thanks. More food for thought that I bargained for!

Reply to
dave

You don't have to *make* them.... :o)

1 - Measure current frames (from outside) to get size - you need it to be about 20mm smaller than the hole it's going into, on both dimensions. 2 - Check B&Q, Wickes etc to see if there's a standard window which will fit. There's quite a lot of standardisation, and you'll often find that you can buy a ready made replacement. 3 - If not, ring a small local D/G firm and ask for prices to construct. Or, if you're adventurous look for a reclamation yard - half of our d/g units were installed s/h, bought for peanuts. 4 - When you've got a unit which will fit the hole, assemble tools & bits. You'll need to drill a few 8mm 'frame-fixings' into the brickwork on each side, so a long masonry bit is needed. Or, Screwfix do an expanding foam which fixes without the need for any drilling. You'll need some packing wedges to level it, made of scrap plastic or other non-rot material. You also need ample supplies of silicone, which cures all evil. 5 - Take the old frame out with as little damage as possible. Clean up the opening, and insert the new d/g unit (without any glass in it). Get it nice and level, fix it there and seal round the edges with silicone gunk. This part is a two-man job, unless you're very strong/confident/agile. 6 - Then fit the glass d/g panels, which usually requires some clever 'click into place' edging or self-adhesive tape. Various methods are used, make sure you ask how your chosen units are fitted.

This is now all prohibited of course, under the glazing industry's monopoly regulations..... :o)

Reply to
Steve Walker

Reply to
Steve Walker

The message from Grunff contains these words:

Are you allowed to, these days? Not that I'd give a toss one way or another of course.

Reply to
Guy King

Hmm, good point - not sure whether you'd need building regs on them if you fitted them yourself (part L).

Reply to
Grunff

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 12:30:39 GMT someone who may be dave wrote this:-

If you are just looking to save energy then it is better to insulate the walls and loft first, each of which will cost say £100-£250 to have done (with grants, energy suppliers do grants as well).

Reply to
David Hansen

Ah, that thought has just come to me! Does that mean I can't legally do it? Do you know if I need to obtain planning permission - either if I fit them myself or I if a pay a company to do it?

This all smells of Precott again!(?)

Reply to
dave

all you need to do is inform building control of your intentions, they'll tell you what to do. there is a small fee for registration. if you don't want to DIY (I couldn't be arsed and got someone in) give Daimond Windows a call, they're in Kirkby. their windows are very competitively priced and offer 10 year insurance backed guarantee and are FENSA (spit) registered.

hth

Reply to
.

And then pay the council tax on them?

Reply to
<me9

That's a slight 'gotcha' actually, because the operative word is 'should'. Plenty of houses don't have them for one reason or another - often the original timber window would have been deemed to be adequate structurally (eg in the outer leaf of a cavity wall) whereas the replacing uPVC window is almost certainly not adequate. That's not to say it makes it an impossible diy task, but if you have to fit lintels at the same time, it's a rather different level of job.

This is the outfit which currently features in the latest 'reality TV' epic "The Armstrongs" on BBC2 tonight. Worth a look (think real-life "The Office").

I've used the u-fit site as a way of ascertaining rough costs for windows (thet have an on-line calculator) but have never ordered from them.

David

Reply to
Lobster