adding double glazing before selling

Hello all. I live in a 1975 town housey type terrace and am thinking of moving in the next year to 18 months. Problem is, my windows are knackered. a couple of panes are cracked and all the frames need cleaning, filling and repainting. They are also made up of lots of little panes of glass so the whole job would be a nightmare and I'd probably need to get someone in to do it. I've read that you are unlikely to recoup your investment on double glazing in the short term but, given the state of my current windows, does anyone feel I'd be making a mistake not replacing them or should I just flog the bugger and be done? The rest of the house is nice, so would the windows be dragging the place down a bit? Since it's a small terrace there aren't many windows to replace so (though I don't know yet) I don't think it would be hideously expensive to do, but I'm not going to do it just for the benefit of the new owners. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply to
Calla

Go into an estate agent and ask about the market in your area. Take pictures and ask their opinion.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I'd be interested in knowing if this achieves a useful response.

When I last sold a 'house', I had a similarly tatty garden.

As I had already moved out (overseas) when I wanted to sell, I asked the EAs that came around to price it, if I should get a landscaper in to do the garden before sale. "Oh no, it will sell for a good price like that ....."

Of course, when it wasn't selling well at the asking price it was the fault of the tatty garden and I should "put some effort into fixing it", by which time I had wasted several months with an empty unsold house.

ISTM (call my cynical if you like) that all the EA want's is the property on his books ASAP and has no interest in creating a good impression and getting a higher value property on his books later.

I really do wonder when they show property investors on TV progs getting advice from EA's about what they should do before sale, if they would be getting the same advice without the cameras in the background. This certainly isn't my experience

tim

Reply to
tim.....

You may or may not recoup the value, but could make it more likely to sell if there is nothing that is in obvious need of doing.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Your concern is if you can recoup your investment immediately. For this, ignore any energy savings and just look at the value it will add to the house, verses the costs. A local estate agent will be able to guide you on the value, and you can get some quotes for the costs. Remember to include making good inside. It may also help the house sell faster. Also, note that windows are only part of the exterior which may need attention, so you might need to allow for other things too, such as painting (or replacing) facias.

Look for a local fitter, preferably by recommendation and stear clear of the nationals. Since you are doing this to sell, you really must be clear on needing a FENSA certificate or Building Control certificate.

For comparison, you might also want to get quotes for painting and fixing up what you have now.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

=============================== Basically there are two types of buyer.

First type wants to buy with everything perfect and is prepared to pay for the (probably imaginary) state of perfection. The second type sees the potential in a less than perfect property and expects to buy at a better price with a view to making necessary changes / improvements.

Most houses will sell in their own good time if the price is right for the general condition of the house. Most Estate Agents really only provide a shop window rather than an active selling process.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Thanks for your thoughts all. I'm going to ask the next door neighbour how much she paid for hers last year, so that should give me at least some idea of how much it'll cost. I've just had a quick look at the windows and they are in a right state. wobbly frames, holes etc. I'll come back later when I've spoken to her.

Reply to
Calla

I had exactly the same experience not long ago. In my case I was advised that the shabby carpets and coloured bathroom suite were no problem; buyers like to put their own 'stamp' on their home. 2 months and 30-odd viewings, no offers, we withdrew the property and did the needful - practically the first prospect through the door gave us the full asking price.

Absoloutely - the trouble is, the second type outnumbers the first by about 10:1.

I'd say you were highly unlikely to recoup the cost of installing double glazing; but if you don't, you might find the property hangs around quite a bit before finding a buyer. So IMO the decision really hangs on whether you want/need a quick sale...

Reply to
Lobster

Don't place too much credence on that though - DG costs are incredibly variable (notably from the big national outfits) depending on how much the salesman thinks he can screw over the punter.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Err, other way round surely?

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

If the windows are that bad, and the rest of the house really is nice, then yes.

It's a straightforward comparison between the cost of the DG and the added value of the house + the benefit from selling quickly.

Even if you don't recoup the whole cost, it might be worth it to you if you can get a quick sale.

It's quite likely your windows are a standard size and replacement timber single- or double-glazed windows can be had ordered in by a local building merchant.

You might get away with DGing the front of the house (kerb appeal, and perceived traffic noise reduction) and just tarting up the windows at the back. Glossy white paint covers a multitude of sins especially if you tactically place some planters so that viewers can't get close up to inspect.

The big national companies are unlikely to offer value-for-money.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'd flog teyh bugger and be done. Ask a bit over and expect to be beaten down by teh ciost of 'repalcing windows'

The hassle of proving and providing ruddy FENSA certificates ain't worth it..let the bastards who buy have the hassle.

yes, but not that much. New windows might make it sell more easily but not at a greater price..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depebds At the base of the market, people are pressed for time and cash. They want to move in the next day and have everythihg shipshape. Even if they don't quite like it. If thats teh propery it is, make everything shiny and new, even if its utter cheap tat.

At the top end of the market they will have the builders in for 6 months on their bridging loan as they try and sell theirs, and rip the house to bits and remodel it.

No point in spending YOUR money as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Put yourself in my position if I was the prospective buyer. I woul immediately think 'Tatty!.

Then I would calculate how much I would have to pay to get doubl glazing installed after I had bought your house, and wished that yo had already done so and saved me the mess!

So go ahead and get it done. First impressions count a lot

-- pebe

Reply to
pebe

Err - yes! (though I agree with what Nat Phil says)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yeah - that slice of the market that needs to move in immediately, and hates mess is pretty much out.

I mean, yes, it might cost them 4K - say - but the disruption and mess can really upset some.

Reply to
Ian Stirling