Electrical requirement for Gas only Range cookers

Hi I wish to buy a gas fueled range cooker, but am confused as to whether it needs as much as 13amps. I think the electricity would be required for the fan, timer and ignition. Can anyone advise if it can be installed using a standard socket, as installing a 13 amp socket might require me to rewire, and lift polished floorboards

Many thanks Tracy

Reply to
Tracy

If it is heated only by gas then the electrical requirements will be very low, as you suggest just ignition, timer, and fan (if it has one). It will come with a 13A plug prefitted.

Reply to
John Rumm

I thought a standard socket *was* rated for 13 amps?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Thanks very much - sorry to be thick, but in my previous place, I was advised that I need to rewire to the outlet, so wanted to avoid that. Cheers!

Tracy

Reply to
Tracy

The only time you are likely to need a dedicated supply wired to a cooker is when you have an electric hob or electric double oven. Most other cases are ok on an ordinary socket.

Reply to
John Rumm

|Hi |I wish to buy a gas fueled range cooker, but am confused as to whether |it needs as much as 13amps. I think the electricity would be required |for the fan, timer and ignition. Can anyone advise if it can be |installed using a standard socket, as installing a 13 amp socket might |require me to rewire, and lift polished floorboards

You really need too read the instruction leaflet. I have just installed (grabs leaflet) a *gas* fuelled, six burner 2 oven gas which along with the fans, Ignition and timer mentioned, has a warming compartment rated at .22kw, and demands a *3* amp fuse. None of the publicity bumpf mentioned this. But a 3 amp supply will probably do.

Look at the leaflet which comes with the cooker, or demand of the sales person a written statement of the electrics required.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

On 3 Feb 2007 06:54:07 -0800 someone who may be "Tracy" wrote this:-

What sort of outlet do you have at the moment?

Is there provision for an electric cooker at the moment? If there is then there will be a large switch a bit like

?cId=A431905&ts=88972&id=74210near the cooker position and a cooker outlet lower down like
that is the case then the outlet needs to be replaced by an arrangement that provides the lower fuse value necessary for the new cooker. Ask the supplier what these are, but I guess that the fuse needs to be rated at 3 or perhaps 5 amps and the cooker comes with a plug fitted. If this is the case then replacing the outlet with an unswitched socket is all that is necessary
the cooker can be plugged into this.

If there is not provision for an electric cooker at the moment then the new cooker needs to be connected to a suitable socket or spur. We need more information to advise on this.

Reply to
David Hansen

What sort of outlet do you have at the moment? If you already have a cooker electrical point, that is far more than 13 amps and only needs suitable (lower) fuse protection for the new cooker electrics.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)