Magic Chef Gas Range model:6498VTV

Hello,

We have an older Magic Chef Gas Range model:6498VTV that has the F1 code (again) sigh.

I have read previous post to disconnect the ribbon cable to see if the fault is the Touch Pad or the ERC (controller) I believe.

My problem is how do you disconnect the touch pad.

I have been looking all over the net for some schematics on doing this but could not find any. I have some drawings from:

and I found some other parts with pictures on this site:
Please, help with any assitance. We have paid through the nose before to have a Maytag Technician repair the unit once costing about $500CDN and now the same problem again. Of course Maytag won't replace it for free, they say we have to reaplace the unit again. Which means another $500 for (parts and labour) What a scam.

I don't want to pay another Technician to come and determine its the controller again if I can do it myself.

Thanks.

Reply to
youngguns76

I hate my Magic Chef Range. The F1 code is one of its many failings and Magic Chef support doesn't know anything about it. They say to call a repairman who will replace the control board.

I asked around about F1. It indicates the microprocessor is unhappy, probably because of excess heat from using the broiler. The cure: unplug the range for a full day, long enough to discharge the capacitive memory in it. I've done that twice now. The second time was over a year ago.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Hi,

How to test many brands of Ranges that are flashing a F1 fault code: You have either a bad ERC (clock) or a bad touch pad.

Disconnect power to stove Gain access to the back of the clock (electronic range control or ERC). Unplug the touch pad ribbon connector from the ERC. This will be a flat wire approx. 1 1/2" to 2" wide. Make sure everything is clear and will not short out when power is turned back on. Turn power back on to stove. Watch for the F1 and listen for the beep. If you get the F1 and beep, replace the ERC. If after approx. 30 minutes you do NOT get the F1 and hear the beep, replace the touch pad. NOTE: Some models incorporate the touch pad and the clock as one part.

  • We have seen a few of the newer Maytag ranges with a F1 fault code and the problem was the oven temp sensor, check carefully the wires to and from the oven temp sensor!! This has been a new occurrence to us in the last 2 years or so.

See small ribbon on the side of the clock, this will come apart. Most F1's have been the key panal itself, but the clock and sensor are possible as well.

If the part(s) are over the warranty period, Maytag doesn't -have- to do anything.

Part(s), service call, labour and taxes...I don't see a scam?!?!

(White)

Clock Assembly (Black)

Kit

*Sometime* a hair dryer blown on the key panal will allow it to work a bit longer, not an repair but an get by route if needed.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Touch-Pad/Membrane (White)

Electronic Clock Assembly (Black)

Sensor Kit

Reply to
beephater

Hi,

An F1 code is often a stuck/sticky key panal....but can be a bad clock or bad oven temp sensor as well.

Usually yes, it is on the backside of the clock assy....

control

The buzzer will -probably- look similier to the one on this one...

We can hope! :)

MC & Maytag ( they own MC ) can probably help...

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Thanks for the response, Jeff. Since I would replace the oven rather than repair it for $$$, disconnecting the buzzer and assume everything will continue to work is a reasonable risk. If after disconnecting the buzzer, there indeed is something wrong with the oven, I will throw it out and not any worse off.

How difficult is it to get access to the clock assembly and the buzzer board? Thanks.

jeff wrote:

Reply to
beephater

Hi,

More time consuming than anything to access that clock.

Power off Knobs off Grates and burners off Screws under surface burners removed so the cooktop can be proped up at the front Screws removed from under the clock panal ( open oven door ) Screws removed from on top of the clock panal The panal with the clock will roll out towards you and off

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Jeff,

I realize that you probably won't get this since the last post was in 2004, but I want to say thanks. I haven't had a gas range in a long time and I was having a hell of a time figuring out how to get off the front of my ran ge... thank you for the tip about the screws under the surface burner. All my previous gas ranges had "flip up burners" if that's what it's called, w here the whole top tipped up.

Jon Pittsburgh, pa

Reply to
jon.mckinnis

check out

for tips and tricks from a trusted company in california.

Reply to
solesorry
2004 or not, it sure is heart warming that someone says thank you. Now, later, or ever. Jeff probably still reads the list, maybe under different ISP, or different user name. You sure brightened my day. Thanks, mate.

Jeff,

I realize that you probably won't get this since the last post was in

2004, but I want to say thanks. I haven't had a gas range in a long time and I was having a hell of a time figuring out how to get off the front of my range... thank you for the tip about the screws under the surface burner. All my previous gas ranges had "flip up burners" if that's what it's called, where the whole top tipped up.

Jon Pittsburgh, pa

Reply to
Stormin Mormon