Maytag refuses help with Magic Chef fridge :-(

A friend of mine has a problem with a Magic Chef fridge. It can no longer keep things cold - after a short 5 years of life. The settings are at the top and it barely works as a fridge. My guess is that it has lost its refrigerant charge.

I visited Maytag's web site and found a nice section that claims to help DIYers solve problems. I looked up the numbers, and filled out the online help form but it didn't recognize the model #. I called Maytag and was told by the first person that they are having some problems with their web site. I was then passed to a "troubleshooter" and was told that they provide no such help for Magic Chef fridges, and she didn't know why. They refused to provide a scrap of info except the name of a servicing company.

Help appreciated.

Sd

Reply to
Sundog

Doubt it lost the charge It could be many other things. Frozen coil, dead fan between the freezer and fridge sections.

Try

or
for more information. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Call a repairman, it cant be that hard to do

Reply to
mark Ransley

Thanks Edwin for the extremely fast reply :-)

Visited repair clinic and selected refrigerator help. The page loaded without the big graphic. Then I sent them email but the input box is miniscule - could just get the make and model # and "Runs but can't keep cold" into it. Then, I pressed the Continue button and a page with "Your shopping cart is empty" popped up. No info on whether the inputted contents went anywhere. A really poor web site.

The second web site brings me back to the first one for help :-(

Thanks for your effort anyway.

Sd

Reply to
Sundog

Ha, Mark you must be a repairman out of work. Condolences.

Showing your email address like that suggests you are new to newsgroups.

Look forward to tons of spam soon. Have fun!

Sd

PS Repairmen have their fair share of scam artists. I want to know the problem before I call anyone.

Reply to
Sundog

No...Marks not but as a HVAC-R guy, let me tell you that no one here stands to gain a thing from giving that advice to you, other than knowing that they gave you the right advice.

Not really...I show mine, and I even use OE...for SHAME!!!

One a day..MAYBE gets through...LOL!...particularly since the mail addy is on another server and the spam filter is great.

If life was that simple, there would be no need for any sort of repair person.

Give you a hint...it could be anything....NO ONE here can see it..but you. If you do not know what to look for, then trying to guide you through the repair is pointless...like the guy the other day that said he didnt know what a safety lockout on his furnace was, but he wanted to know what part of it tripped...yea..right..

Reply to
CBHvac

I agree!

Not that the graphic would help diagnose a problem. JFYI. It requires your browser to have Flash installed.

I guess you didn't look around very much? One link from that site's 'Appliance Links' section follows:

My frost free refrigerator's fridge section is not cold enough. What might be the problem?

The Maytag's DIY section doesn't require a model number. The only places which do are the owner's manual section, the registering your appliance and the parts look up section none of which would help you diagnose a problem. You can see Maytag's DIY section for refrigerators at the following link:

(should all be on one line)

They will, however, just not on the web site and not free unless you're a factory authorized service technician.

It is true however that they do not have any manuals available on-line for older Magic Chef or Norge products.

You mean how to fix the appliance? Few manufacturers offer such a service for free I'm afraid. Some don't offer them to consumers at all, that's what they train their authorized service depots for.

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~