Double Glazing Units

I need to replace a couple of misted up double glazing units - a few questions:

Any recommended source for the replacements? It's probably just a coincidence, but the blown units aren't kitemarked and have a black tape-like spacer bar. Most of the remaining panels are kitemarked and have sliver aluminium looking spacer bards.. I can check with local glazers but any online recommendations welcome.

I'd like to measure them up before taking them out so I can get the new ones made up. Using a metal rule and digital calipers I've worked out that the panel thickness is 27mm. This corresponds to a spacer bar of 19mm (assuming

4mm glass - I don't think it's laminated, not that that matters for measurement), but they only seem to come in 18mm and 20mm. Which should I go for?

Also, can anyone recommend a tool to remove the trim pieces? I've used a filler knife and rubber mallet in the past - which worked, but did damage the trim slightly. I can see the proper tools on Amazon etc. - just wondering if anyone has a recommendation.

Reply to
RJH

me too...

But I have newer windows that have grade A+ hermetically sealed argon gas filled glazing with IR coatings on both sides of the glass, Planitherm and some other low K coating and there is a black plastic spacer bar around it

The misted units that need replacing are in older DG windows that were put in by the previous occupant(s) and thses appear to have aluminium tape covered spacer bars and you can see one pane has shifted relative to the other. I'd liek to replace thse with the A+ graded argon filled coated glass like on my newer windows.

While on the subject, I also need to replace the hinges as the rivets have worn, so the winodw does not go within the frame fully. I'm after pmes that can act as a child safe hinge (to prevent falling out) and also to open out to form an fire escape route and also to move inwards from the hinge so one can clean the outside glass from the inside without getting the ladders out for teh upstairs windows.

Reply to
SH

isn't the kitemark on toughened glass?

Mine all have the black bars, whether toughened or not

I think delivery is going to be the killer, so I'd expect local will be best if you can collect?

I fitted windows from Dunster House, they will supply sealed units and have their own delivery fleet, maybe if you wait threy can piggy-back onto a nearby delivery?

I just used the filler knife method.

Reply to
Andy Burns

15 months ago or so I ordered a double glazed unit from

The unit was used to replace a window in an Everest window which was blown out by a strong wind. The specifications were:

Width Height Inner Glass Gap Gas Outer Glass Spacer

483 1592 No Ref 4mm Clear 20mm Argon 4mm Clear No Silver between

The glass was held in the aluminium frame by a rubber seal between the glass and the metal on both sides.

If your glass is in a plastic frame you can buy spacers on ebay to hold the glass in position.

Reply to
Michael Chare

That looks pretty reasonable, thanks.

The frames are just what I assume to be bog standard white UPVC. They're only about 6 years old and the rubber seals look to be in good condition so I'd just reuse whatever's there.

Reply to
RJH

Googling suggested that it could well be.

Michael's mention

offer free delivery if you can wait a month or so - I can. And about £60 per unit seems reasonable.

Righto, thanks.

Reply to
RJH

I have used a local firm in the past - I put in similar dimensions into the sealedunitsonline website and it came out at £55. The local firm charged me £30, not not bad when you consider postage etc.

The local firm did shower me with packers though, which was nice. I used a wide fillet knife and use a grindstone to make a slightly rounded shape, and sharpened the edges a bit.

I used a combination of a stanley knife and solvent (meths or IPA) to get the foam tape off. You can buy that from ebay. One pain is that ideally you want to measure the existing foam before ordering the replacement, and in order to measure it you need to take the frame out... and then have to wait for the replacement...

Remember to read up about heel-and-toeing.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Top tips, thanks.

Reply to
RJH

New glass isn't kitemarked.

It worked out slightly more expensive (£110 for two 90cm x 70cm) - but I went with a local supplier (Abbey Glass, Sheffield).

The filler knife I have wouldn't unseat the very stiff beads on these units. I bought one of these:

and they came out easily enough.

I couldn't see why the old units failed. Both seals appear to have perished at the bottom - the windows are top-hinged - so I had assumed water had built up. But the channels and drain holes all dry and clear. My guess is that they weren't properly supported on the packers (only 2, halves, on each 90cm width pane). Also, the window frame profile isn't the best - the packers rest on one thin plastic bead, so rely on the beads to locate properly, and support the weight of the glass.

Anyway, all in now and looking a lot better.

Reply to
RJH

Do you know when that's since, still plenty of (old?) references out there to kitemarks for toughened ...

I might have worried that a thick blade would cause damage, but all good if it worked

looks like bridge packers would have been better?

Reply to
Andy Burns

No - I did google it at the time but couldn't get a clear answer.

It was tense, but worked fine.

Ah yes, thanks, didn't know about those.

Reply to
RJH