Crooked Double Glazing

Hi,

I had new double glazed windows installed yesterday and I noticed that the glass panel in two of them is crooked in the frame. On an opening window it is lower on the hinged side. It is similiarling lop-sided in a non-opening window.

The fitter tells me that this is necessary to allow for "settling" and is called "heal and toeing", but if this is correct then surely the other windows (which are level in their frames) must be wrong.

I think he is spinning me a yarn. What do you think?

TIA, Derek.

Reply to
DiddyS

The panels themselves are likely to be square. If the frames are square too, then the panels can be easily aligned. Settling? Never heard of it. Problems might arise if they've screwed the frame in so it's not square. Measure the diagonals to see if this is the case.

Reply to
Grumps

Yup. The whole point of 'heeling and toeing' is to firmly wedge the glass sealed unit within the opening part of the window frame, to PREVENT what might be termed 'settling'... the idea is that the sealed unit is rigidly mounted to the window frame, bit like a splint, to stop it from distorting. A uPVC frame without a sealed unit is very weak, and can easily distort several mm in any direction, certainly enough to prevent the window from closing in the future. Heeling and toeing is always done with the window closed, so the frame is 'fixed' in the correct position.

David

Reply to
Lobster

But this is all wrong! The glazing panel *must not* be used as a structural component, as this will cause premature failure.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Sounds like he just ran out of spacers and couldn't be bothered to get any.

Reply to
EricP

Sounds more like he only had one per frame, which he tried to position centrally, and he got that wrong too. Get them back. It's a 5 minute job. When you hear the term "settle" or "settle down" from plumbers, builders, car mechanics etc, take it to mean the job's not right but they've run out of time and want paying anyway.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the info. I've got them to sort it out this morning.

Derek.

Reply to
DiddyS

What about if you hear the same term from a lawyer,doctor,surgeon,estate agent or quantity surveyor-or are they above reproach?

I'd advise a trip to

tarquinlinbin

What about if you hear the same term from a lawyer,doctor,surgeon,estate agent or quantity surveyor-or are they above reproach?

I'd advise a trip to

that should be

tarquinlinbin

Good for you! :))

Reply to
EricP

Are you disgreeing that the sealed unit imparts stiffness to the opener (ie, and is intended to do so?)??

David

Reply to
Lobster

The message from Lobster contains these words:

It better bloody do, I'm working on that assumption in the design of my cedar frames for the conservatory.

Reply to
Guy King

I am not disagreeing that the unit can impart stiffness (or rigidity) - however, normal ones are not intended to do this. There may be units that are.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Stressing the units is well known to cause premature failure.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

I'm amazed. uPVC units without glass in them are quite floppy.

Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble saying something like:

Bollocks. There are plenty of instances where materials need to bed in and be re-adjusted as necessary.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon