"I don't know" is not an answer

Pulled up at work with one of the Gremlins today and the first job was to drill a 22mm hole through a brick wall.
He got out the cordless SDS and 1m 22 drill bit. I stopped him and pointed out that
a) the battery was probably not charged enough to drill the hole and there was only one battery b) we would need the cordless SDS to fix the armoured cleats after drilling the hole
and
c) it was my cordless SDS and it is getting a little old and I do not want it drilling 22mm holes through brick walls.
I told him to get the Makia and extension lead out of the van and use those whilst I went up to the house to have a word with the owner.
10 minutes later when I got back there was no sign of the makita or an extention lead and the pillock was just putting the cordless battery on charge.
He had indeed tried to drill the hole with the cordless and the battery had died halfway through doing so.
I then kicked off and asked him why he had used the cordless and his answer was "I don't know". My reply was "I don't know is not a fucking answer, you have until home time to tell me why you used the cordless or you are walking back"
At hometime I asked again why he had used the cordless and he said "I don't know".
So I left him to walk back to the unit in the cold rain.
It's 3 miles to the nearest bus stop and 7 miles back to the unit. As he fell asleep in the van on the way to the job I doubt very much that he knew where he was (middle of nowhere describes the place well) and he would probably be unable to call someone for lift.
And if he does not learn the walk then the owner of the firm will ask one question when he gets back to the unit.
That question is "why did you use the cordless?" If the answer is still "I don't know" then he will be handed a written warning (although to be fair he will get one regardless of his answer)
--
Adam

Why was your drill not charged up? I used to charge mine up every night. Did you tell the Gremlin to go for the joint?

Mr Pounder wrote:

That isn't adequate when you're using it all day. We have 800W inverters in the van with aux batteries and charge everything that way.
Bill

I used to charge my drill up in Travelodges etc. It was one hell of a drill; cost 360 in 1999. It had all these lights and things. Then, they took it off me :-(
On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 20:18:46 -0000, "Mr Pounder"

Ah, Travelodge. Isn't that the hotel where breakfast is a a croissant in a paper bag dumped outside your door?
Class.
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 22:12:41 +0000, Graham. wrote:

Do they knock on the door and leg it?
On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 22:12:41 +0000, Graham. wrote:

No soap either.

Used to use Travelodge a bit but they took away the soap, bath mat and biscuits then the maintenance seemed to slip and the cleaning...
These days tend to end up in Premier Inn, Holiday Inn Express (breakfast is included) and recently Days Inn (buy one get one free, flexible rate as well). Can rarely book far enough in advance to get the cheap rooms and even if I could there is no guarantee that I'll still need the room. Cheap rooms don't have any refunds...
--
Cheers
Dave.

I really would not know. I was always away in the early hours of the morning.

Mr Pounder wrote:

I am with you on this one.
My digs in London costs me 20 a night. It's local to where I am working and the 20 gets me a clean bed and shared bathrooms. You have to supply your own toilet roll/soap/breakfast etc.
But as I am at work and not on holiday it does not matter.
I prefer to crash on site with a sleeping bag and air bed.
--
Adam

only if you pay extra :-)
tim
scribeth thus

We didn't. An overnight budget stay in Aberdeen. OK not exactly four star but clean warm and comfortable and quiet .. well apart from the seagulls out on the pull for discarded grub at night, and brekkie was included and we did have to pay for an evening meal but it was simple and good value.
We didn't know re our wake-up call 'tho, there was a Kilted bagpipe player outside the following morn under this imposing statue.
Well it was Scotland)...
http://goo.gl/maps/lVmzE
Nice place, seems it was all hewn out of one Ginourmous block of Granite!...
--
Tony Sayer

Surely there is a market in that area for a geiger counter alarm clock ?

That car in the foreground looks like a terrible 'cut & shut' job.
--
Sam

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 17:53:20 +0000, ARW wrote:
<snip> Why are teenage lads as thick as fuck? I'm not sure they can help it, it must be hormonal.
My missus gave our (well, my) lad a Saturday job. It lasted 5 weeks before we decided it wasn't worth the family falling out with each other.

Newspaper boy: I want paying in advance to deliver the newspapers.
Fine, if fitted with a GPS tracking, remote electrocuting, interactive corrective behaviour monitoring ankle tag... or should that be neck tag... with automatic guillotine on any attempt to remove.

They have never had it tough. Hard times sharpens the mind up wonderfully. They may soon get opportunity to find out about this first hand,
On 02/11/2012 09:02, harry wrote:

I was watching a Wetherspoons waitress yesterday (yeah, sad I know) and it was staggering the amount of work she was getting through. Still she had time to smile at all the old farts and generally look like she was a happy bunny. I need hardly add that she was of East European origin.
On 02/11/2012 10:28, stuart noble wrote:

In my experience the people they employ at Wetherspoons are the rejects from the "do you want fries with that" establishments. The company do seem to have some strange ideas about customer service. 30 people can be waiting for service at the bar and there are 4 staff behind the bar, BUT 3 are on cleaning duty and cannot serve. Or, the one bar staff goes away for 10 minutes to make coffee for a customer while the kitchen staff are regularly supplying coffee to customers that have ordered food rather than drink. The bar has run out of cask ale during the early evening but the only person who can change the cask is the cellarman who is on the day shift. There seems to be a demarcation in staff tasks with no flexibility during busy times.
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

On 03/11/2012 09:45, alan wrote:

This was the one on Victoria Station. Packed to the rafters right through the day but, I have to say, very well organised, clean toilets (despite being the only free ones on the station). Burger and a beer very pleasant too.
On 02/11/2012 10:28, stuart noble wrote:

Of course she was smiling. If she's careful, she can save in a year enough to buy a house back home.