SDS plugging chisel

Has anyone come across an SDS plugging chisel (for repointing brickwork)? Screwfix have something they call a mortar chisel -- not sure what this is for, but it looks nothing like a convensional plugging chisel such as

Andrew Gabriel

If you really need to chisel it out with an sds then it probably doesn't need pointing. SDS chisel will also damage the brick work. Potential diy disaster looming here!

Reply to
jacob

Yes I realise this. Reason for SDS is twofold... There are some small areas which strictly don't need it, but I don't want to leave them looking different from the rest of the wall. Secondly, some parts have been done with a very hard cement mortar (on a lime mortar house). These have of course all cracked away from the brick on one side, but it's still hard work.

It can all be done by hand, but it's taking too long.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think I once saw a skate type thing which you fitted a masonry drill into at an angle. This allowed you to 'drill' out the mortar to a set depth just slowly pushing the drill along the coarse of bricks.

I used an SDS drill to remove tiles last week - and I found that you had to push quite hard to get the hammer action to kick in. I could imagine that doing this on mortar would be quite difficult as it would keep stopping and you'd need to restart each time.

I suspect that the standard drill + skate thing might be better - but I don't fully know your situation.

David Hearn

That is one of the problems you don't get if you go for a decent SDS drill. You should be able to get a very smooth and light application of hammer (as long as you lubricate the bit shanks every now and then!)

Reply to
John Rumm