Guttering

Hi, I'm refurbing my 1820s cottage. it has plastic square stuff fitted, which i want to replace with something more in keeping with the cottage style. what's available out there?

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

I like the look of the screwfix alum. stuff

but can't afford it for the whole house.

Reclaimed iron stuff from a salvage/reclamation yard would do the trick but might be more effort intensive to refurbish.

I believe that you can now get new metal guttering to fit old iron systems so a mix and match approach is possible - try your local BMs etc they might have something like this.

HTH,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

| Hi, I'm refurbing my 1820s cottage. it has plastic square stuff fitted, | which i want to replace with something more in keeping with the cottage | style. what's available out there?

Seen some black extruded/rolled aluminium stuff on an old house which looked fine.

types available, this is the one which Google produced.

This needs a machine in the back of a van to produce. Look for a small firm which does them in your area.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I think you'll find the best stuff is the extruded aluminium, which you can get pre-finished (powder coated) - 'Stormguard' is one make. You can get it in appropriate profiles to look like cast iron. There's a cast aluminium product which looks even more like cast iron (it has the proper sockets), but I don't know anything about that.

This is a completely different product to the rolled 'seamless guttering' crap which they make in the back of a van (or is it on the back of a horse?)

Will

Reply to
Will Dean

Seen that put on a *builder's* own 1850s house. Looked good to me.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The rolled seamless aluminium guttering which was made in the back of a van we have is anything but crap. It's excellent, strong, deep and looks like cast iron from the ground. I had my doubts but now I'm converted.

What's your experience? Or are you making a judgement withour experience?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What's your objection to this stuff? It may not be suitable for the OP, but it's fine on more modern properties - and a *lot* less problematical than plastic guttering.

Reply to
Set Square

I'm refurbishing my garden shed. where can I purchase new guttering

Reply to
alex

Loads of places...

Wickes, B&Q, Homebase? Screwfix, Focus? Most builders merchants. Many local DIY shops...

Reply to
AlexW

how much did this cost?

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

I did the same and wanted 76mm (3") guttering. I got mine on line from

very good it was too.

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

All the sheds sell guttering!

Reply to
Set Square

They don't all sell 3" guttering or, if they do, they never have all the bits in stock. 3" guttering looks best on a shed (IMHO).

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

How much did WHAT cost?

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

I can't find the receipt, I'll have to ask Spouse.

Until later,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

what do you mean "How much did WHAT cost?"..its obvious what I'm talking about and what I'm replying to...but if you need it spelling out to you, I'm asking Mary how much did it cost to gutter her house.

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Yep! but you replied to the wrong posting. :-) I think you got his back up top posting. :-(

Reply to
ben

Oh dear. Naughty me;-)

steve