Long Masonry Drill Bits

Good Evening all!

I am after a long masonry (about 8mm) drill bit.

The longer the better!

The longest on I currently have is 400mm, and that's too short...

I don't have an SDS drill, just a "normal" hammer type

Any idea where I could get longer bits?

1,000mm would be nice, just in case!!

Sparks...

(It's for running an alarm cable through)

Reply to
Sparks

OK, on the Screwfix site, I have found this

is a 1000mm 10mm SDS Plus bit

Although it is SDS, will it still fit in a normal chuck designed for standard round drill bits?

(Like a drill that takes these?

)

Thanks!!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Sparks scribbled :

No it won't fit in a standard chuck, for starters it wont centre so you will end up with a drilling circle of about 300mm by the time you get to the end with the wobble! Pick up a cheap SDS drill, you won't regret it if you drill masonary often.

Reply to
Gary

OK, is there an adaptor that can be bought to change a normal drill into SDS Plus?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Nope, SDS is a totally different principal to a "hammer" drill. Google the group and you'll find 101 threads about SDS and how it works etc. All I can say is a bought a semi-decent Bosch SDS drill a year ago and everyone I know has borrowed it! It puts holes in stone, concrete etc like butter and with chisel attachments it has lifted light tarmac and put a hole through a 30" wall, took a bit of time ;-)

There is no way I'd contemplate a hole more than a few inches deep in stonework without SDS. Hire the kit for the first job, prob. cost about £30, then buy if you think you have a use long term.

Tony

Reply to
enuff

Ok, thanks for the advise!

I take it an SDS Plus drill bit is not going to fit into an SDS drill such as

Sparks

SDS plus should fit this fine, its SDS MAX that is the "big boys" stuff. But quite frankly a £22 quick SDS drill? stick a "0" on that and its more like it. I bought mine for about £180 in a deal at Jewsons, you can pay less or a lot more depending on what you want and how much use it will get.

For a a 1 metre deep hole you prob. need to look at SDS max so I'd ring Hewdon or HSS first before buying anything. A SDS Max with a 1m core drill could cost many, many hundreds to buy.

Reply to
enuff

It won't be a meter long (Well I hope not!!

The stuff I am drilling seems to be pretty soft My Bosh cordless 12v hammer drill went in 400mm like butter!

I think it is sandstone, but am not too sure

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

I have one like the above and it is perfectly serviceable. I don't suppose it will last as long or be as good as the pro ones at 10 times the price, but are they 10 times better? I doubt it. It makes holes.

Reply to
Niall

Grr, shame I didn't bid on it before it was too late!

What is the difference between SDS and SDS Plus anyway? If they all fit into the same drills, why the two types?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

A decent tool shop will have 'special' bits which have a thread on them on to which goes an extension - or as many as you want. The bit can also be used without the extension(s). The extensions are the same size for a number of larger bits. I think they're more like 12mm, though.

They used to be in the sheds, but haven't seen them for a while - although I wouldn't be looking since I've gone SDS.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

get yourself down to Woolworths - they sell that drill for £29.99

Reply to
Chris Oates

Really!! - Will pop down the road tomorrow then!

How about this one?

Sparks

Reply to
Mr John X

Just found a place down the road that has 300mm (normal) bits with a threaded end and the extension bits, it however fails to mention the length of the extension!!

Will go down there tomorrow and see if it will do!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

...and just found this on TLC too!!

go there tomorrow!!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

all these 650-850W SDS rotostop drills are the same drill the Woolies one has those attachments + a chuck to take standard drills + spare motor brushes + 5 year gntee

Reply to
Chris Oates

OK, is that just pretty much any Woolworths, or only really huge ones!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Screwfix do a range of SDS drills 1 metre long in that sort of size - it is perfectly feasable to saw off the SDS bit and fit it in a standard chuck as the drill shank is relatively soft, however I would strongly recommend Screwfix's FERM £29.99 rotostop sds drill - I bought one as a stop gap for chiseling, but find it is remarkably solid for the money (and guaranteed for

3 years !!!)

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson